1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Expansion requires boring under road....????

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by andyslawncare, Dec 1, 2012.

1. andyslawncare

andyslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Guys, I've done plenty of boring private driveways, paths, etc, but have never been asked to bore a public street and cross the utility right of way as this job requires.

Photo diagram attached.

The job is for the HOA, which owns land at the entrance and at the outlined circle.

Does anyone recall a similar situation? I plan to contact the water dept and city building dept on Monday to see if a new meter would be the way to go and if its possible, considering expense to get the wires and water there would be pretty high. I'm not sure of regulations that can hinder the boring under a public street like this, and I'm sure there is something. I know there are water, power, sewage, gas, and multiple cable service laterals in the right of way, which further complicate the legality and technique to proceed with quotation.

Any advice is appreciated. Boring subcontract can also be negotiated if you are local and interested.

Thanks for looking!

Irrigation Expansoion 2012.jpg
  2. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

yeahhh that's not going to happen legally. lol

your'e going to have to get a new meter and power supply into the island.
  3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Get a new tap. Maybe get a deal because it helps beautify the city. :)
  4. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

Not knowing the lot sizes, why not get a subcontractor to bore from the existing tap directly to the island? Have them put in a 2" sleeve and you can run your 1" supply and wire to it or size it accordingly. It's what I have seen done to those entrances that have multiple islands. The subcontractor should be able to get an idea from various utilities the depth when they call a locate.
  5. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Aint gonna happen. Locators don't give depth measurements.

What does happen is once located the utilities are potholed with a vac on the responsible parties dime.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Happens all the time Mitch.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

yep new meter and dc clock
  8. andyslawncare

Thanks for the responses guys. I see we're pretty much aiming to get a new meter. Probably instead of paying for power to be included, I'll use a battery operated controller considering there will probably only be 2 zones.

A direct bore would be around 175', any idea of cost for that?
    A new meter will be around $1300-1500 + double check valve in this county.
  9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

How can it possibly be that anyone caring about their reputation would want their work to depend on a bore that could be destroyed on a whim of the municipality?
  10. andyslawncare

I respect your experiences Wet Boots, and have decided to do the job only if a new meter can be installed. I'm aware of the damage potential caused by utility companies and don't want the risk.