1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Expectations too high?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Little o, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Little o

Little o LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

After reading the board for awhile, is it reasonable to do 40 full service year round customers (weekly mowing, pruning, bed control, fertilizing), and maybe 15 weekly mowing customers for the 7-8 months during the growing season. Picture 4-5,000 sf lawn with shrub beds around the house. Assume a fairly tight route. Also, up here in the NW all the LCO's pick up the clippings.

Is this amount of work reasonable, or am I dreaming as a solo?

2. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Many here might not agree with this...but this is from personal experience.

Full service clients require detailed work that can be time consuming. A full service client as you describe takes me on average 1.5 hrs per week to service. Some weeks you will have more to do than others, but it should average out.

You can do the math that follows, if your lawns up there require mowing once per week as I would assume, having 40 such accounts would mean working 7 days a week.

I know there is no way I could service more than 6 clients per day in that situation working solo.

I'm sure you also have a good number of rainy days that would throw your schedule off.

I personally think that your quality of work would be compromised with that many customers. Might need to lower the numbers somewhat.
  3. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

right now in the summer months i do 20 full service. I am also a full time chef at a busy spot. I have to work 7 days a week to get it all done. if you want to work , then yes you can do it. I am right around 75 hrs a week.80 might be correct.
  4. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

40 full-service clients and 15 clienst for just mow/edge/trim/blow? That does sound like a lot, but you mention that the lots are four to five thousand square feet, so maybe not.

Turf raises an interesting point about the amount of time needed for the pruning/bed control/fertilizing work. I find I have to estimate the hours generously because I'll underestimate the time needed on the first go-round. My fudge factor on work that I'm not experienced in estimating is a factor of 1.5. If I think it'll take me an hour, it usually takes 90 minutes.

If these lawns are fairly wide open, you could mow a good number by yourself with the right equipment, as small as they are. Have you timed yourself on a "typical" lot to see how long it's taking you? I agree with Turf, though, it does sound like a pretty heavy schedule.