Expectations????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Husky

Husky LawnSite Member

All this is happening next season, but I was just wondering what your thought on the possible number of new clients I will land with these going out?? just guess's,,for fun!!!

Developments are getting 5,000 doorhangers locally

2 local newpapers getting ads

What can i expect?

Do I go Yellow Book?

If I want to go BIG,,whats the best plan?

2. Husky

Husky LawnSite Member

So any takers on this thread here?

3. Evergreenpros

Evergreenpros LawnSite Bronze Member

About 1% response from door hangers on average:

5,000 x 1% = 50 LEADS

These are just phone calls. You'd be lucky to pick up 10-15 customers from those 50 leads. Maybe you'll get some one time jobs as well.

Of the newspaper ads, the response is far less.

You might get lucky and pick up 30-40 customers from those door hangers, or you may get no customers. But the average is 1% in LEADS, and of those leads it's up to you to make the sale.

As a general rule you have to hit an area 3 consecutive times to get the best reponse. So it's better to distribute 10,000 door hangers every month in the same area than 30,000 door hangers once.

To get "big" without a referral base, figure 8-10% of your PROJECTED gross to advertising. So if you intend to do $300,000 you need to spend about $24-30k on advertising to reach that. This is a very general rule, more "off the top of your head" type of figuring. But if you want to grow fast, it's gonna cost you.

Yellow pages are good for managed growth. With door hangers/newspaper inserts you get a barrage of phone calls in the first 48 hours then it tapers off to nothing quick. If you're by yourself having to answer the phone calls and work at the same time it might be wise to go yellow pages. In addition, yellow page ads are a monthly bill and it's kind of an autopilot deal. Usually they have really good deals for startups on yellow pages. Your rep can fill you in on the details.

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I average about a 1% response on flyers. Maybe you'll get a little higher response on the doorhangers.

Never tried newspapers, and the yellow book is very pricey, plus you'll get calls from all over Northern VA with that.

Do you work in Fairfax or Loudoun? I know some people that distribute flyers there for a good price. Worked well for me. PM me and I'll get you their info.

5. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

Small ad in yellow pages costs me 1% of my yearly gross and generates 6 to 10 decent leads a month during the season and lands 1 or 2 of those accounts. Has even generated several leads per season for larger commercial accounts. Never had much luck with newspaper ads and flyers practically nothing. The good customers I am looking for will pick up the phone book when they need a LCO because something caused them to NEED one ( something drastic changed like someone died or sick, previous LCO out of business, or they have to start traveling, yada yada yada) but with flyers most people that call are already mowing their own or are having it done and are looking for a bargin. If you are really wanting to expand fast maybe you should try to buy another lco's accounts or business instead of dumping tons of money on advertising. Just my 2cts, Marc