1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

expected income

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by grn2806, Nov 16, 2005.

1. grn2806

grn2806 LawnSite Member

I have been a part timer for about 3 years and am going full time next year. I have done the math and figure that I can make a nice income in the lawn business. I have read some posts on this site that have been a little discouraging. I know it all depends on the person and there plan, I'm very agressive and have what I would call good work ethics. Does anyone out there have some encouraging words?
  2. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

That's the great thing about running your own business, your salary is totally dependent upon you. Have a good accountant and that will also add to your bottom line.
  3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Encouraging words won't help put $$ in your pocket. Make a detailed a business plan and then sit down with an accountant and an attorney. If you do it right the only limiting factor in how much you can make will be your ability to sell your biz and company.
  4. jake65

jake65 LawnSite Member

A men, brother
  5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

alot really depends on the area your in, how saturated with lco's and have the prices been driven down by competition

some places i think you can do nothing wrong , but still fail, really depends on the area my 2 cents
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I remember the first year that I started out I was in the red at the end of the year. It just takes time to build a nice client base and move from there.
  7. premierlawncare

premierlawncare LawnSite Member

Question #1 . How much money do you want to make?

Now write out a business plan on how to get it.

Example: 100 customers X $100 a month in service = $10,000 a month or $120,000 a year.

You can make a lot of money if you want to.

Oh next tip. Don't use credit to build your business, use CASH.

And dont waste money on advertising, just do good work and you will pick up accounts.

Today on during my normal route I had 3 customers ask for estimates, I cut 1, 1 is thinking, and 1 is a $155 clean up (2 hours work) that I scheduled for sat.

Good Luck
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I agree, try not to use credit. That can kill you.
  9. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

I do agree with all of you but now some hard crap you have to put up with…You will be considered “unsecured credit” unless you have the capital to carry you during the hard times it will be tough when customers don’t pay you on time don’t let anyone miss lead you. You will have some that pay on time and then you will have all the customers that have an excuse every month and it goes to the next and on and on. Your bills keep coming in and there is no money to pay them or your cut off. Trust me it is very hard the first few years especially if you have a family and all the things in life you need. You will learn how to handle contracts, collection, liens, and so on, so learn as you go just like the rest of us and you will do just fine. I would not trade it for the world..
  10. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

plan, plan some more, and plan again. If possible try and seed the business with your own capital, less stress IMO. It can be done, but takes a lot of pump & jump. Take info here and use judiciously, lots of good info, also lots of not so good info, and a lot relates to region of country folks are tied to.

As OTD said consult a good CPA and maybe even an attorney, although a lot of the legal legwork as far as state regulations/laws go pertaining to business can often be researched using your State Secretary of States website.

Good Luck