Expected increase in productivity?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wayne Offiler, Sep 21, 2000.

1. Wayne Offiler

Wayne Offiler LawnSite Member

I work alone (kind
    of like it that way). I now do 8 -10 jobs per day, in the 8000 - 18000 sq ft range; and can't seem to get past $25 per hour with my 48" belt drive W/B.
    I am getting a 52" mid-mount ZTR for next spring...... Realistically, what increase in productivity can I expect?

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Once you get used to it, you should double the mowing prodction. What's nice is on a hot day, you will not get so darn wore out as you would with a W/B mower.

3. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Wayne,

You may be charging to little?

4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I can't believe it - Eric whats going on over there.

If you get a midmount you will increase production, what Eric didn't tell you is to get a Chopper and you will quickly increase production and the reason you stay cool on a Chopper is that it goes so fast you feel a wind chill even when its 90 degrees out:)

Seriously, I did a test between my 44 Toro hydro W/B vs my Walker 26EFI GHS discharging out the back and on the same set of properties the Toro tool about 3 1/2 hours. The Walker 2 3/4. Then I had to go and do lots of trimming with the Toro. Test all mowers before you buy. Good Luck.

5. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

i agree with toroguy, u might be charging to little for your accounts. like eric said u should cut half of your mowing time off, but remeber u still have to trim, edge and blow. so instead of doing 8-10 lawns a day u might do 13-15. it wont double the amount of lawns u can cut

6. tlcgrounds

tlcgrounds LawnSite Member

Dear friend; why buy a 52". When I started out I had a 36 then I bought a 48 w/b. Then next season I bought a 52" z and in justa month I ralized I could take a 60 and sometimes a 72 on most of my properties. I sold the 52 and bought a 60 then 4 months later bought a second 60". Listen to this advice. Say it takes you 60 minutes to mow a property with a 48 w/b. Now compare it with a 52 like you wanto to and I bet in most cases you'll increase by 40-50% productivity. Your trimming will always be about the same. Now think about this. Out of all the properties you have. how many can you use a 60" on. Now how many might you have to use a walkbehind in some small spaces. I bet you could do more properties in less time with a 60"z and a w/b then with a 52"z. A 60" and even a 52"z will make you more productive and open yourself up tp much bigger and much more profitable mowing. I made 35-40 dollars per hour with a w/b. I was tired at eh end of the day. Now I can do 3 times as much mowing by myself and I have a spring in my step when I trim and blow. My clients think I'm more energetic and much more effeicent.

7. Smooth Operator

Smooth Operator LawnSite Member
    from NY

Wayne, I agree with tlc ,I was considering a 52" ztr due to obstacles and tight areas but after reading posts on the topic I went with a 60" and have found I can get into places I never thought I could. Almost never use the 21" anymore just the trimmer and the 60". Also the 60" has more offset for trimability and with the wider track is more stable on slopes.

8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I agree with the others, why get a 52" if a 60" is available? I went from a 48" JD geardrive to a 60" Grasshopper. The bigger the better!

9. Stinger

Stinger LawnSite Senior Member

We use to run Toro 44 walk behinds on all our properties. Once we got a 60" Grasshopper all I needed was one man to mow instead of two or three. Plus we got more jobs done in one days time. Less employees and more productivity = more $$$ !

10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

If the 60" will fit,it will be much more stable than a 52".Most 60" have a 6-8" wider stance than the 52",you wont believe how much more stable this makes it until you have driven both,especially on mid-mount Z's.