1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Expected Life for a Twin Cylinder 15HP Kawasaki

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by genesis215, Apr 17, 2008.

1. genesis215

genesis215 LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering what any of your experiences are as far as the life of this engine. How many hours should they last with good maitenance? I am planning to use 15W40 oil in mine, and to change it twice a season (instead of only once). Also cleaning the air filter weekly, replacing annually, and installing new spark plugs every year. How long do you think it will last with this sort of maitenance? I would think that changing the oil twice per season would increase the life of the engine. Should I change the oil more often than this? Any comments would greatly help.

1994 Ford Club Wagon Chateau - 5.8L 351 Windsor V8, 138,000 miles
    36" Great Dane 15HP V-Twin Kawasaki Super Surfer w. Floating Deck
    21" Troy-Bilt 5.5HP Honda Self-Propelled Mower
    21" Troy-Bilt 5.5HP Honda Push Mower
    Shindaiwa T260 Line Trimmer
    Shindaiwa EB630 62cc Turbo Backpack Blower
    Husqvarna 17" 6.0HP OHV B&S Intek Rear Tine Tiller
    Murray 22" 6.0HP B&S Quantum Walk Behind Trimmer/Mower
  2. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

only two times we change the oil every two weeks sometimes more.
  3. Dunn's

we also try to change the pre filters daily but usually only happens like 2-3 times a week. We get 1 season to 1 and half season per air filter. But that all depends on the environment you are in.
  4. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

10W-30 is the correct viscosity for that motor. i try to change my oil at 50 hrs. and filter at 100 hrs.. the factory says change oil at 100 hrs. and filter every 200 hrs.. mine has around 1200 hrs. on it and it runs fine......
  5. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

With that much service, where do you purchase your filters? Online, dealer, etc. Tell me where the deals are at. Thanks.....:usflag:
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Buy a hour meter, install it and then follow the maintenance instructions included with your mower.
  7. Dunn's

We only have 4 mowers that get used everyday so they are changed everytwo weeks. We just buy the big 5 quart oil jugs or the cases of one quarts depending on the price at the time.

All just the cost of running a business. The rest is only one air filter per season per mower the prefilters are washed dryed and put in ziploc bags with a little oil in it ad just keep getting rotated through. We also buy 5 sets of blades per mower each season. I thought this was all just the norm. Guess not.
  8. Dunn's

Maybe that is why the guys at advance auto give me free stuff sometimes. They do usually comment that it is because we are there so much. Just never really thought of it.
  9. macguy

macguy LawnSite Member

That seems a little excessive but I guess it depends on how often they are being sharpened and the type of turf conditions. I can usually get by with 3 sets (standard lift) per mower.
  10. salandscape

salandscape LawnSite Member

We chage oil every two weeks, filters every month. We also clean pre-filter twice a week, clean primary every week and change each month. Never had an issue with my Kawi motors, I have a 17 with about 1000 hrs, 23 with 1200 and 19 about 500.