Expected life of Peerless transmissions on walkbehinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ensor, Jun 9, 2005.

1. ensor

ensor LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

If used properly, what is the typical lifetime (hours of use) for the 5 speed Peerless transmissions used on belt drive commercial walkbehind mowers? Thanks.

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I have a couple Scag 32" units that have around 1000 hrs. on them and one has had a failure. The shifting fingars had to be replaced. These units did not have any devices to pull us around and they were not shifted on the go. Shifting on the go and pulling a sulkey will reduce the life!

3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

We had a 36" that had around 1100 hours on it, and had no problems with it to that point. Over the seasons it had a single velke and a pro slide behind it at different times. Our average weight between me and my guys is around 200#, so I guess it comes down to how well you take care of your equipment. Like Ed said, never shift on the fly...you'll definitely wear the dog ears off in the transmission really quickly..

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Shifting should only be done if the tranny is declutched. If you can do it wihile the mower is moving you are working towards mastering use of the Peerless transmission. A properly setup Peerless should give in excess of 1,000 hours. Part of the setup includes making sure the shift detent is adjusted properly, the engine to tranny belt is not over tightened and the clutches are properly adjusted. If you are hearing a clicking when shifting between gears even though you have declutched then you need to adjust the clutches. That clicking is the shift keys wearing out.

5. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

Peerless has NEVER recommended shifting on the go, no matter if it is clutched or not. There are NO synchronizers in these transmissions and the types of the keys are not designed to be able to shift while the gears are rotating at different speeds.

6. Richard Martin

If the tranny is declutched it doesn't know whether the mower is moving or not. The reason Pearless doesn't recommend it is because few people can do it. I got about 1,000 hours out of my first Exmark before selling it with no tranny problems using the declutch shift on the fly. The guy who bought it is still using the same tranny. BTW, I do have the factory service manual for these trannies so I know what is in them.

7. MowingGuru

MowingGuru LawnSite Member

I have 8 Toro midsizes, and the only problem I had with the tranny was I had to replace the output shaft in 1 unit...mind you it is a 1988. It needed to be replaced because the splines wore out where it connects to the coupler. Some of these machines have a lot of hours on them, don't know exactly because of a lack of hour meters but it would be measured in the thousands.

Very dependable transmission (17 years and only 1 problem)...and a breeze to work on if anything does go wrong.

8. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

As long as the input or output shafts of the transmission are turning, all of the gears on the inside are rotating as well. "Clutching" the tranny may disconnect either the input, or the output, but I can't ever remember a unit that stopped both while the mower was in motion.

9. Richard Martin

"Clutching" the tranny doesn't stop either from turning. All you do when you clutch is release the tension on the drive belts. The only way to get the input to stop turning is to turn the engine off and the only way to get the output to stop turning is to put the tranny in nuetral. The drive belts are the clutch and as long as there is no tension on them it is safe to shift. The tranny doesn't know whether the mower is moving or not when there is no tension on the drive belts.