Expected lifespan of new mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by retrodog, Jan 4, 2008.

1. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

I've been wondering what the true expected lifespan of the new mower is. Say a homeowner grade vs a commercial grade air cooled vs a liquid cooled gas vs liquid cooled diesel. I guess transmission and motor mainly. Any ideas or across the board ballparks in hours?
  2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

id say most new commercial mowers units will go to 3000 hours before they start getting tired. Of course this is all assuming that basic PM's are done timely and no curb jumping at full stick, ect...

commercial two stroke, about 3-5 years before they get tired. again depends on fuel filter and air filter maint, regular carb cleaning, ect..how oftern it gets tossed around the truck...
  3. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

It all depends who uses it and how it's maintained.
  4. grassnazi1

grassnazi1 LawnSite Member

ya its just like a car.... they could last 10 years or 10 weeks....PM is just as huge with a mower as it is a car. The better you treat it and dont abuse it the better off you'll be. So no one can really answer your question any better then the two previous post have tried too. I would say 3000 hours on a commercial Z and about 300 hours on a residential, but only if you take care of them and treat them like a quality tool.
  5. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I run the JD X595, and two X495's, which are liquid cooled 24 HP Yanmar diesels, and the Tractors have a frame the size of a 1/2 ton truck. I plan on getting 10,000 hrs out of them. They are extremely heavy duty, easy to maintain, terribly reliable (In the last four years, I have replaced one thermostate, and one water pump - I have 3300 hrs on the three total), and very inexpensive to operate on an hourly basis.
  6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I think that's a good average. Then again some diesels are going to outlast the ZTR's. There are several Grasshoppers around here with over 5,000 hrs. I guess if the frame holds up you could replace parts indefinitely. Most do not keep ZTR's that long though. Most trade them in after a moderate amount of time and get a new one. Very few run them into the ground.
  7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I think most of the parts on any mower. gas or deisel, will out last the frame/deck....
  8. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I cant say for sure, but my Toro 36 gear drive walkbehind has to have about a billion hours on it...
    I replaced an engine, a pulley or two, some belts...The sucker just keeps going and going and going..........
  9. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

A billion? Whoa, you seriously need to have Guiness take a look at that one. :laugh:

I know of at least one Toro wb that went almost 4,400 hrs before going out. . . They will last if you take care of 'em.
  10. lawnangel1

lawnangel1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

I used to work for a extremely large company that ran all scags. One of these mowers was 13 years old and had 10000 hours on it. Many of them had over 5000 hours.