expendible lawns.......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Dec 17, 2004.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

ok, lets say you have 10 expendible lawns, meaning you keep them because they are right by an existing account, but they aren't really accounts that you count as a real customer. They are just "fill in" type of work, very small lawns, just a cut and trim, never no extras. Basically it's not even worth the time, stamp, paper, and envelope to bill them monthly, and sometimes the lawns get skipped a few weeks because they aren't a priority. So the amount is really a measly amount, but since each lawn esimated only takes like 20 some minutes a month, you keep them. My question is this.... Has anyone ever tried to sell a full season prepay mow on really really small lawns? Take the average # of cuts they got this season, and go with that number. Do you think a customer that is used to being billed monthly will go for a prepay yearly amount which would be due by March 31st???

2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive never tried it on any lawn. Im a little uncomfortable doing it. Average mows around here are 35 weeks. But what if they pay and for some reason you get 7-8 weeks of rain total. You have to dig into your pocket and reimburse at the end of the season. What if the moneys gone?

And what if for some reason you get over there and you have to double cut and bag it. How do you charge more since they already paid?

3. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Since you are approximating, it may get confusing down the road, say, if you get an overly dry or wet year. Chances are there will be arguments. I try to focus more on getting the extras from people. Even if I am making money on a "just cut" customer, I would rather devote that time to a full service customer.

4. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

If you are not able to get them to take any extra services from you i doubt they would want to prepay unless you offered a discount. :)

5. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

i have in my new flyers is you prepay you get 5% off the total price as a + to get them to do it.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Me too.

I have wrestled with doing prepay accounts for lawns year after year. And not just the expendible ones too, Jodi. I know in one breath that having that money up front is a real nice thing to know. But, like what if the situation changes dramatically?

I think I am like pb. I want the flexibility to "charge accordingly" each visit. Dunno...wish I had an answer.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We have a lot of $20 per cut yards that are on 12 mo. payments...about $50 per month. We give them 10% off is they pay 100% up front. Our goal is to have everybody on contract but older people are most reluctant while new customer go 100%. The reason the per month goes well is they can pay us on line or bank transfer monthly and they never get involved with billing. We obviously like that a LOT.

8. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

I know fertilizer companies around here do alot of discounts for customers that prepay and rod is right, the lure of instant money is strong but the risk is to great. I would say mowing is the only branch of this industry i wouldnt do it in.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I totally agree. Too many variables not only month to month, but week to week as well.

10. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

I used to work for a company that offered 10% off for prepay, but that was with a fert. program, not mowing. I would also be hesitant to accept prepayment with mowing, too many variables. I know what your talking about though, I have a few like that. Being solo and having some lawns that take up to 3.5 hours it is kind of refreshing for me to have a 30 minute stop a few times a week. :)