Expenses of Spreading/Spraying

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GravelyGuy, Dec 3, 2006.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I will be going to take my Core and 3B exam for fert. and pest/herbicides before next season. After all the classes etc. it will cost me around $600. I will be starting out with zero customers, but I will start advertising that I do it for next spring. What expenses should I expect to encounter going into this small time? I forgot to ask the state chemist, do these licenses need renewed or anything? I need to do some homework because I don't know very much about this stuff. Hopefully I will actually learn something from the classes.:)

Thanks...

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

you will need $2 million product liability insurance policy and the license needs to be renewed each year. you will also need the business license to go along with the 3b.

3. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

4. you will have to gather up ,like 15 cch's (continuing credit hours) over a four year periold, there are various classes around the state to get these. The class you take at Purdue leans heavy on weed and insect id and on labels and mixing. for what chemicals to use on certain problems you will have to learn that on your own with a lot of reading on different chemicals. hope this makes some sense. also check out the MIDWEST REGIONAL TURF FOUNDATION good organization to find out where classes are held for your cch's.

5. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

How much do these classes run? Are they only needed for the first four years? What kind of insurance do you have JB1?

6. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I try and go to at least 1 turf conference each year. the one in Carmel is in August and is $65 if I remember correctly! the training also comes with a nice barbecue lunch and 3-4 cch"s