Expensive 3 way mixes

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by hmartin, Apr 23, 2006.

1. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

It seems like most people are buying premixed products similar to Trimec or 3way for broadleaf control. A person can buy 2-4d, dicamba and mecoprop seperately and mix them for about $15 a gallon in a ratio similar to most trimec products. I am not including carfentrazone, but I know that it can be bought individually also. I would like to hear from someone who has bought seperately and has bought premixed. I want to know their thoughts on which makes more money when everything is said and done. I realize that it would be almost impossible to mix like this for a backpack, I am talking about 50 to 100 gallon tanks and up.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

its not worth the chance of messing it up to save a few bucks in my opin
  3. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

I'm only paying $26 a gallon for Trimec. Not worth it having all that material handling.
    I used to work for a large lawn care company and we did mix it ourselves. What a mess.
  4. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

i been using MEC AMINE-D at 20 some bucks per gal. at the rate of 1.5 oz per/m early on works well

CHASER ULTRA 2 SELECTIVE HERBICIDE cost me 50+per gal.. to expensive..
  5. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

i'd be more concerned with the human saftey issue over the ooops i mixed it wrong issue.

mixing concentrates opens you up to exposure of these products

paying a little more for a premixed product is just safer, dont you think?
  6. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I've done both, I prefere the pre-mixed, less handling of concentrates, less risk. Back in the late 80s early 90s we would mix 2-4-d, mcpp and dicamba, but with the cost per k being only a few cents cheaper, why bother?
  7. somo1

somo1 LawnSite Member

There is a reason why companies pre-mix their products. Different brand or seperate products may be suspended in mixes or have counter actions with each other. Example MSMA with 3-way or buy Trimec Plus. Premixes are proven and tested to be compatible and work.
  8. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

not worth it..
    what are you guys using this yr.?
  9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Three Way is too cheap to worry about messing up by mixing your own, IMHO
  10. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

You may be correct, but if we cannot accurately mix 2 or 3 chemicals (I don't see a huge benefit in the mecoprop for my area) shouldn't we be looking for another line of work.

Is see a lot of people buying Speedzone in my area. Isn't that stuff around 150 bucks a jug. With bermuda lawns in the South, broadleafs just aren't a big enough problem to justify buying such an expensive herbicide.

I am sure that it may be a whole different ballgame on cool season lawns, so I will not make any inferences to those broadleaf herbicide needs.