Expensive Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by riches139, Sep 30, 2004.

1. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

I bet these blades won't be cheap!
    Looks like about 12".

P1010098.JPG

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It is sort of strange when they get as much for the real small blades as what they do for the larger ones for larger decks. This machine is pretty cool, but I think bigger gates are cheaper - especially for a one time investment. Does this machine run that far off center? If so, I dont' think you could GET a better trim machine. This thing would reach in under anything!

3. MWE

MWE LawnSite Member
    from NC

i'd like to have one of those

4. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

when the deck lowers it slides over but it still has a nice overhang (i demoed it at expo)

5. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

What size gate does that mower goes through with the deck flipped up like that? I'm curious to know - why 4 x 12" blades instead of 3 x 16" blades? Is it bescause of compactibality, manueverability, quality of cut, etc?????
    Like to know what the engineers are trying to achieve here.

6. Andyinchville2

Andyinchville2 LawnSite Member

Good questions PCN Services....4 blades just seems like more problems than 3....

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I think with the shorter blades you would increase the blade tip speed, so you'd get a better cut. Of course, one extra spindle to fail, one extra blade to sharpen/buy...

If that thing fits thru a small gate (and it looks like it will) than I may have to look into that.

8. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Are those shorter blades going to be able to effectively move all the clippings thru all those chambers and still discharge okay? I guess it must work or they wouldn't market it, Hustler is pretty reputable. Sure would like to try one.

Rookiemower, did they let you cut with it at the Expo? Or just walk it around?

Buck

9. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

They just let you walk around behind it at EXPO. ALL the PTO's are disconnected.

I talked with PJ (of this forum) about it (dispersal & cut quality) at the EXPO. He said they had to make some changes, but SUPPOSEDLY got it working. My understanding is that this is their PROTOTYPE & they are yet to go to manufacturing. I was also of the understanding that this is their "show piece" that they take around and not necessarily exactly what final product is going to be like.

Mike

10. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

The LONGER a blade is, the higher the tip speed -

Short blades have a much LOWER tip speed !