expensive part prices

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hustlers, Apr 8, 2003.

1. hustlers

hustlers LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

I am starting to vent at my local dealers for small parts and
    blades. I looked at their parts book and remembered the wholesale number, called them set up an account with my sales tax number.
    Here is the price they sale for at retail-------theyre atleast half this price wholesale, now what im paying

$25.00 1 walker blade
    $110.00 recoil assembly for kawisaki
    18.00 air filter cap
    $50.00 walker belt
    $58.00 labor charge--
    I cant believe the markup on parts. I feel they are raping me
    charging outrageous prices for small pitly commercial parts.
    Springs, nuts, belts, etc.

Anybody else think parts are little spendy
  2. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

buddy there off there rocker !!
  3. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

4. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Went to the dealer to get a new throttle cable for my Walker $80.00 still can't believe it. Called the dixie dealer for an new donaldson air filter ($30) and oil filter for the dixies yanmar diesel ($20). I'm still gasping!!!!!!! My fram oil filter for the 1 ton at walmart $2.60.. My dixie dealer is now posting labor rates at over $70.00 an hour. I know the dealers have to make a decent profit but......................come on.
  5. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea, it rubs me the wrong way too with the prices they charge. :angry: But it is called supply and demand, the "American Way". When you get busy, and people want bids for a work, don't you raise the price that you would charge for the job?
    Have you ever looked at the trucks, trailers, and equiptment going down the road, seems like everyone is cutting lawns.
  6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Have you ordered from Preco before? What has been your experience?
  7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

They are in business to make money and charge what they can get away with. A dealer does not look at the selling of mowers as their bread and butter but just a part of the equation. They are counting on parts sales and labor revenues to make them money. Try talking with you dealer (the owner not the guy behind the counter) and let them know you can buy parts elsewhere far cheaper but you want to give them the business but you will need a “discount” on parts. Remember not to burn any bridges as you might still need the dealers help when it comes to repairs that you can’t handle.

8. William Camp

William Camp LawnSite Member

9. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I have made several orders with them and have recieved everything pretty quick. Only problem i had was they sent me the wrong case of blades one time, but that is it.
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Parts sales and shop labor traditionally make up 2/3 or more of a dealer's total gross profit. Moving "iron" is about 20% of the total. BTW, you want to see some crazy prices, buy something for a Toro.