1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Experience as Teacher

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Island Lawn, Apr 4, 2001.

1. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

My first experience with a bed edger today.
    Fast and effecient but, it popped more than my cherry.

I just re-trenched some existing beds that had lost their definition.

I rented it from my equipment dealer, after I corrected him on which way to direct the "spray". (He wanted to put it on the lawn instead of mounding the beds.
    I guess he never looked at a picture, much less use the thing!
    This is the same guy that tells me that sharp blades dont matter!
    He is the largest dealer around!
    I could revoltionize the industry here w/ sharp blades if I could get more people to pay my high azz prices

BUT back to the bed edger & my inexperiece.
    The guy tells me that I have to pull it backwards & showed me sticker on the machine proving the direction of travel.
    This was news to me. I thought I would go foward. BUT no biggie, I'll just go backwards.

to make a long story short,

I ran over 5 termite bait stations and 1 sprinkler head!!

What are these daned things doing in the existing trench??

I'm assuming I'll have to pay for this stuff. Homeowners weren't there at the time. I plan on calling them this evening.

How much do you figure I'm in for?

BTW This is barter work. I'm not getting paid, I'm settling debt.
  2. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Boy, I thought this'd be a cake walk, but the last part kind of buggers it up.

If they had conversations with you and didn't tell you about that stuff at the time, I don't know if I'd assume any responsibility. It depends on the project. If it's $15K worth, sure, I'd eat it. If that's the only thing you did for them, I'd probably make a fuss.

I don't know jack about sprinkler heads and their cost, but I would imagine it woudln't be too much, and you can replace it yourself.

And the termite bait stations - we don't get termites around here that I know of - is it like a roach motel?

I wish you luck. :)
  3. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Termite bait staitions are cylinders w/ holes all through it so termites can access it, take the bait, and take it back to the hive.

I just got off the phone w/ the homeowners.
    They tell me the pest control guy will replace them at no charge.
    They are going to talk to the sprikler guy later.

I may have to buy a new sprinkler head for the cost of this education.
    In previous educational experiences, I learned the art of replacing sprikler heads.

Wonder what I'll learn next?
    But if I knew the answer to that question, I would have nothing to learn!

Hindsight is 20/20!
    I should've checked the edge of the bed for these kind of things BEFORE I went to blazin!
  4. grade

grade LawnSite Member
    from MA

your insurance should cover that