1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

experience my first firing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by laborador, May 17, 2004.

1. laborador

laborador LawnSite Member

Been in business for 2 months and a customer gave me the ax. Thought I was cutting his lawn to short. I was cutting his St Augustine at 3 1/4 inches. None of my other customers have complained, maybe since the weather is getting warmer I need to increase to 4 inches. This customer did not even let me know his dissatisfaction, he just let me go and did not give me a chance to adjust my cutting height. I am interested in knowing what is the longest period of time any of you went without getting fired. That was a goal of mine when I started and that was to never get fired. I guess I will not attained that goal. I have much respect for those of you that have spent your entire career without getting fired.
  2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

He may not have fired you for the reason he stated. It could have been something else, like he found someone cheaper, and rather than be upfront about it, he decided to put the blame it on you. This type of thing happens all the time from what I read on this forum. Trying too hard "not to get fired" may cause you to do way too much for a client to keep them happy. Some people can never be pleased.
  3. sprout

sprout LawnSite Member

I get fired all the time--- by all the PITA's I get, I simply won't take their crap, been at this to long.
  4. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Lab, easy there guy. He didn't fire you. You're the owner of your company. He's a client who decided to do business with another company, perhaps, as Locutus points out, for nothing more than a whim.
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

the customer had problems and should have voice their concerns to you. But next time, and with all the rest of the customers tell them, "If you have any problems or questions with my work please contact me right away."
  6. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

we all get fired one time or another...working for the public and all of the personalities can be hard, you don't have to do a poor job to get fired, they could of found cheaper, or a friend etc, or just had a bad day, as you didn't do a poor job it will be their loss in the long run, sounds like they lack communication skills to me.

gee, how hard would it of been for them to discuss this with you before dismissing you? Not hard, some people are just hard to figure out!

It can hurt a bit, keep your chin up, it's part of the game....it won't be the last, but the pain lessons over time.
  7. laborador

laborador LawnSite Member

Exactly, I did a lot of free work. He has one of those propertys that has 3 huge oak trees that continousely drop leaves and I rake up a few piles evertime I go their for no charge. This was a every other week cut, so the grass was high evertime and I would cut of more than a quarter length of the grass blade, so that might be another reason why the grass looks like it has been cut to short. He sure got the most out of me. Today before he fired me, he had me take some bags of leaves from the back yard to the front and pick up a pile of leaves. When I finished thats when I knocked on his door and he gave me the check and said I have to let you go. The bad thing is that I will have to see him again because I do his neighbors yard, which is pleased with my work.
  8. locutus

from NC

Follow-up with the neighbor right away. You dont know that they have not been talking to each other. Find out if there is anything that they are not pleased with, so you can avoid any possible problems with them.
  9. locutus

from NC

10. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

The only time I have been fired is when the customer runs out of budget. They might have a ton of other excuses, but in the end I find them doing it themselves by spying on them.

Do not worry about it and move on to make up for him because he sounds like a PITA anyway.