Experience on Stihl HP Ultra oil and Amsoil Saber

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yungman, Dec 8, 2007.

1. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I have a new Shindaiwa EB3410 blower with C4 engine. I am using Echo Power Blend for the moment. I am planning to switch to Stihl HP Ultra. I want feedback on Stihl Ultra 2 cycle oil, what ratio you are using? Is ultra suppost to leave very little diposit.

I might also conside Amsoil Saber but 100:1 bugs me!!! Anyone use this at 50:1? Please tell me your experience. I know I know, most of you use it at 80:1, I am not comfortable with it, rather use Ultra at more oil content.

Any experience on 32:1 ratio with Ultra or Amsoil?

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You can use Amsoil and Stihl HP interchangably and I do. You can mix either at any ratio you want (my Stihl dealer told me I could mix it at 80:1 like I do Amsoil with no ill effects) right down to 32:1. The only advantage Stihl has over the Amsoil is fuel stabilizers are already in the Stihl oil.

The reason most people use a synthetic oil is to reduce carbon buildups and have one oil mix for all needs. If you mix synthetic oil at ratios greather than 80:1 you will increase costs as well as deposits.

3. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

amzoil 100:1 every time

4. yungman

from Calif.

Hi Richard
    Is the deposits of synthetic more or less than blend or convensional oil at 32:1? I am doing Echo Power Blend 32:1 now, it seems ok.
    Thanks

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for that bit of information.

The fact that Amsoil has none bugs the crap out of me since Opti-2 did...

With mix cans... sweat happens!

6. yungman

from Calif.

Hi Guys
    I might as well come right out and say, I am going to use about 32:1 in oil ratio no matter what!!!! I am old and I am stubborn. No sense of beating around the bush!!! Given that, any suggestion of oil that work best on 32:1?
    :drinkup:

7. Richard Martin

Since you insist on using that ratio I suggest whatever oil is the cheapest since you will be using a lot of it. Amsoil, Opti-2 and Stihl would get very expensive at that ratio.

People with over 100 years of combined use of synthetic oil have replied to your many threads telling you it is safe to use at higher numerical ratios. But still you insist upon asking the same questions over and over again just worded differently. Continue to use the 32:1 ratio. It doesn't matter to me. My engines don't burn up, don't have carbon deposits, don't eat through spark plugs and don't have oil dribbling out of the exhaust port. Your engines will do all of these things.

8. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Thats a swell idea to use ratios that are not recommended by the manufacturer. Now I know why people have so much trouble with their equipment.

9. Richard Martin

Synthetics don't behave in 2 strokes like conventional oils do. Their lubricity (sp) is much higher resulting in reduced ratios.

You should do a poll and see how many here (or anywhere for that matter) have had problems as a result of using synthetics at higher ratios.

10. blowerboy

blowerboy LawnSite Member

THERE IS A BRAND CALLED FRADAN( http://WWW.FRADANPOWER.COM

IF IM NOT MISTAKIN ALL, EXCEPT THERE WALKBEHIND BLOWERS, ARE A 32:1 OIL RATIO