Experience Pays

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bob, Jan 13, 2003.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

My friend that helps me cut grass, was doing manditory volunteer work at a church retreat. There were two of them volunteering there. The fellow in charge ask either of them if they knew how to use a Grasshopper mower. My buddy said that he knew how, from helping me. So , my friend got to use theGrasshopper to corral leaves into a pile , while the other guy used a hand rake. Experience pays!

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Isnt "mandatory volunteer" kinda like "shot-gun" wedding??? When someone dictates that you have no choice, yet your going to participate, seems to me like it takes the iniative to "offer" your assistance away -LMAO!!!

Glad to see that your mentoring is carrying over into his people skills as well!!! I'll betcha he was quite pleased with his "desk" assignment at that job -LOL!!!

3. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Using the Grasshopper sounds a lot better then operating the rake but the use of the term mandatory and church don't seem to go together. Glad it worked out well for your friend.

Gravely_Man

4. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

LOL! I understand what you mean, but it is still funny!

5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I knew that I should have explained this. We both work at General Motors. After we've use up our 42 weeks of unemployment we go into something called a "job bank". We still get 40 hours pay, but don't work in the plant. You have a choice of sitting in an office watching TV for 40 hours a week with a person from management watching you. Or you can do work at a non-profit organization, with out supervision. To me it's a no brainer, but their are still a few people who refuse to volunteer anywhere.

6. TaylorLawn

TaylorLawn LawnSite Member

?????????

7. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

Glad to hear that. I was aiming toward him being on parole, or probation. Whoops!

8. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I second that!

i'm glad to see he's willing to do something productive, and something that others will appreciate. good guy. thanks to you he didnt' have to break his back, he got to cruise around with the wind in his hair!! :D

9. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

That has got to be one of the coolest ideas Ive heard of yet!!!

I have often tried to do free "sprucing up" work for the local library but they say that its a conflict of interest because the Village has their own parks dept.

I think thats a GREAT form of PR, and I think its even better that you can chose to help those organizations which have personal meaning vs. Joes Laundry needs some powerwashing down on the corner -LOL!!!

Thumbs UP!!!

10. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

Kut
    dont ask the librarian ask the village president or village manager, the only conflict is if the parks dept is union it may be a contract violation, ( doubt it its a Municipality those contracts usually dont exclude community donations)