1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Experience w/ LawnBoy 22271? What price?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ccfoodog, Dec 1, 2007.

1. ccfoodog

ccfoodog LawnSite Member

I'm a homeowner (not a lawn/landscape professional) on the hunt for a new mower.

We have a fairly small yard (< 1/3 acre ) with a fair number of curves. We bag exclusively.

After doing some research, I'm interested in a LawnBoy 22271.

I'm interested if anyone has one and what their thoughts are on it.

Also, I'd like to know what I should expect to pay for one. MSRP is $945, but I'm assuming street price should be a fair amount less?

Also, anyone have any suggestions for dealers in the greater Seattle area where I could get a good price?

2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

This is LawnBoy's new entry into the commercial mower market. I have yet to see one on the showroom floor, even though it was promised to be available by June 2007. I have heard of nobody buying one.

The design is patterned after the recent consumer models. These are unlike the former staggered wheel designs as the workhorse in the commercial markets. The staggered wheel models are still available, with a 4 cycle, B&S engine. The 2 cycle models have long been taken off the market.

I too would be greatly interested in experience with these new mowers. From the features list, and downloading the operator's manual, I see the self-propelled feature is unlike the consumer models. The consumer models have a push bar, "the mower follows your pace," kind of approach. However, it looks like this model worked differently, at least from the operator viewpoint. The ground speed is determined by what position the ground drive bail is pulled up toward the handle. Apparently, the variation in ground speed is controlled by how much, or not much, a belt is slipping. That is the mechanism by which the consumer models work. The "how much you pull up on the bail" makes much more sense than the "push the bar forward, as you walk faster, the mower will move faster" (consumer models). I was not happy when told the commercial models would use the same operator scheme. The bail approach would allow working the ground drive at positions OTHER THAN standing behind the mower (e.g. on slopes, turns, etc).

I would be interested in seeing one work. I will be in the market for a new hand mower next Spring, so would also appreciate any feedback.