Experience with diuron-imazapyr

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Harley-D, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

These actives are in sahara or imazuron e pro.

Does anybody have any on hand experience with application? Results? The label talks about mixing per length of control but i was hoping to get someone's experience before applying.
    Will be applying ride of way and open areas. Some plants are woody. (virginia creeper)

I realize the mode of action and have taken the proper precautions for runoff. Also, what would you calibrate for application? I'll probably be close to 2g/min/k. I'm gonna be mixing this with gly w/srfctnt fyi. Thanks in advance.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Just as long as your "ride of way" (I think you mean right of way lol:)) is not a limestone gravel, you should be ok. For the woodier plants, you can add a little gly to the mix. Also, make sure you have a decent wetting agent.

3. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

LOL...yeah right of way. Not sure why i typed that.

Should be ok? Not sure what you mean.
    I was curious about the rate corresponding with the length of residual on the soil applied. The stuff ain't cheap and i don't like to use more than needed. I am mixing with a gly product and using mso.
    Label states 8-13lbs per acre. Price-about $45/2lbs.
    Has anyone done any state bid jobs with this stuff?

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I prefer Surflan. Check it out. Also, like I say,...do NOT use the Sahara type product in limestone.

5. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Whatever you do, do not mix these types of products with glyosphate herbicides.
    You will markedly diminish length of control.
    Use pergolic acid containing herbicides, be sure to buffer the pH of the water, and DO NOT add a non ionic surfactant as run off/non target effects are greatly enhanced.
    I have used soil sterilents to great effect along airport runways, right of ways and for bare ground control. I experimented a bit with different classes of herbicides to mix with the sterilents and always noted problems when mixing glyosphate for a quick knockdown.

6. PSUTURFGEEK

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

With the Sahara it used to be 7-19 #s an acre and I would usually go about 10#s an acre, that would usually give me like five months control, and if I timed it right that would get me through the year, I always mixed it with Gly with no problems so that part is news to me.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I was going to ask...What types of herbicides? the oryzalin (Surflan)? I have used it for years like that. Please elaborate. I understand the PH being a possible hindrance.

8. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

PSUTURFGEEK, the label I have for Sahara (which may differ due to different States) specifically indicates reduced efficacy when tank mixing with glyosphate.
    I remember the A.I. name of a preferred herbicide to use, pergolic acid, however I have had more than a few gin martini's so the trade name has escaped me right now. Not to mention I am in dire straits for TUI.
    Regardless, the results I have obtained with Sahara mixed with the pergolic acid has resulted in over ten months of total control. Reemergence is measured at about 8 - 10% following the ten months. The results I noticed when tank mixing with glyosphate was total control for maybe three months and about 60 - 70% reemergence after the three months.
    Rainfall during my observation periods averaged about 30" total and interestingly enough after one rain event of 20" which occurred in a day and a half (a real turd floater), the control I observed with the Sahara + pergolic acid remained consistent when applied during my seasonal drought period.
    The only facet of the sterilent + pergolic acid is cleansing the tank is a time consuming affair. Takes me a good three hours for my itty bitty 50 gallon Lesco.

9. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

I think you mean pelargonic acid(Scythe). That works for ultra rapid burndown of most vegetation without interference from bareground herbicides. Reward(diquat), is another burndown type herbicide, but most regulatory agencies do not like it. For quick kill of topgrowth, I have always used MSMA if it is grass and 2,4-D ester if it is broadleaves and vines. 2,4-D will interfere with imazapyr, so Garlon is another option that I frequently use.

10. Cooter

Cooter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

What is wrong with Sahara in limestone gravel? My Lesco guys recommended it for total control in gravel parking areas. Curious as I am about to spray a 6 acre lot real soon.