Experience with door to door sales

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ef200098, Mar 24, 2014.

1. ef200098

ef200098 LawnSite Member

I'm looking for someone who has experience with door to door sales, specifically someone you've hired to do the job. Is it worth their and my time? Could someone realistically setup 3-5 contracts a day? We have a trifold and a lawn analysis sales tools for them to use as well as closing tools (offers). I feel comfortable training the right person.

We are looking for a better return than the .4% return we had off of 12k EDDM flyers last spring. Roughly 50 new customers for roughly 5k spent, with a VERY strong offer (2 free on a 7 visit program) and call to action on the flyer. $100 customer accrual is WAY OUT there. I would rather pay a sales crew $60 a pop or the cost of 1 application to canvas without giving the farm away with the 2 free visits.

HELP!

2. Efficiency

Efficiency LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 6

And that statement is based upon what?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. ef200098

ef200098 LawnSite Member

I feel that it's high based on other industries that I've worked in. Is that typical for spray work?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. n-green

n-green LawnSite Senior Member

$100 per new customer is great IMO. Wish I could get that with saturation mail. That's good ROI.

5. Efficiency

from zone 6

Exactly what I'm seeing
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. walkinonwater27

walkinonwater27 LawnSite Member
    from ct

customers for life are worth any amount spent imo.. do a great job and youll get your money back..2 free apps?.. free doesnt put food on the table, the only thing free i would offer would be an estimate your short selling yourself..3-5 contracts in one day is a stretch some days will be better than other but as a constant you seem high..if everyday was a saturday you might be able to hit the 3-5 mark..offer great quality and the neighbors will come at no cost.. Good luck

7. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

:clapping: Ditto! :clapping:

8. Efficiency

from zone 6

3-5 a good day and you might break 300 in a few years. Who has time for that?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

Solo operators where accounts average 25k feet in size.

10. ef200098

ef200098 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice. Our 2 free offer is off of our 7 app plan which incorporates Merit. We charge for merit on top of a single app, so it works out to 1 free, which is a pretty standard offer in our area.

We are going to be doing block leading next weekend in addition to our 10k mailers we sent out. I'll let you know how it goes.

Are you guys doing EDDM Mailers or selecting by income and house size?

Efficiency.. What type of accounts are you picking up for the $100 acquisition cost?