Experience with Hydrexx, Uflexx & Umaxx

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by LawnTamer, Feb 27, 2009.

1. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Hi guys,
    just wondering if any of you have had experience using any of these technologies to try to get more even feedings and to try to to reduce N waste through leaching, dentrification or volitazation.

Apart from the volatility of N pricing, I would like to reduce the amount of N I am using for environmental reasons. I have been told that by using these products one can reduce N use by 25-30%. Has anyone experienced this?

2. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

I used UMAXX last year at 3/4 lb/M and got at least 12 weeks of green during a very wet summer. I will be doing the same thing this year. I believe it to be a very high quality source of nitrogen. UMAXX has twice the amount of HYDREXX that UFLEXX does. My sales rep says that UFLEXX lasts about 8 weeks.

3. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Getting a good 8 weeks out of UFlexx at .75 lbs. here. Swear by it. I use 1/4 lb. soluble and 1/2 lb UFlexx in Spring and fall and 3/4 lb. Uflexx straight in summer. I am planning on trying some UMaxx this summer on some hard to spray areas to see if I can reduce number of fert. visits.

4. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Do you find you get a darker green with Hydrexx/Umaxx/Uflexx?

5. pieperlc

pieperlc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

What releases the urea? Microbial, moisture dependent? Just curious.

6. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

The way it works is this (correct me if I'm goofing it up, peeps):

Most urea volatizes and leaches as ammonia. Grass can uptake/consume ammonia as fast as it can get it (like the way grass grows crazy fast after a typical liquid application). True Nitrates, however, are only taken up as the plant needs it.

Hydrexx blocks the urea from breaking down and releasing the ammonia and, therefore, the Nitrates sit still in the soil until the grass is ready to utilize them. You end up with steady growth and better utilization (less waste) of the urea put down.

7. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

So who makes it is it? Is it the same as mesa line?

8. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

Agrotain is the manufacturer of all three.

9. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

Thanks for the info I just shot them an email

10. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I am trying an alternative this year that is, indeed, from Lebanon Seaboard. It's called LSN. A little cheaper than Uflexx, but rumor has it that it's made by Agrotain as well, just marketed by Lebanon. I'm also switching from convential Poly coat sources to an LSN granular. Should be interesting.

http://lebturf.com/pdfs/PIS2242687.pdf