experience with lowering ph

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrkosar, Jun 11, 2008.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

for those who have done this successfully. how many sulfur apps at what rate and how long did it take?

for example if i had a 7.6 ph and wanted it down to 6.8. i know you should not put it down in the summer, so maybe twice a year at 3-4 lbs/1,000 sq ft (spring/fall)?

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Mrkosar

I have posted many times 10 lbs of 0-0-0-90 Sulfur applied per thousand will lower pH 1 point in 30 days. This is not permanent and must be done on a regular bases. I do it twice a year Right before rainy season and right after.

3. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

I am not trying to be a smart ass by why would you want to. All the lawns in my area hover around 7.5 with many of them in the 7.8 to 8 range, and they look fine. Te biggest problem I see is that they don't react to iron as well as lower ph lawns.

4. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

i would want to because that is the range grass grows best at. i understand where you are coming from though because the soils in this area are usually around 7.5 or so and look fine. i might try and just focus on getting the low potassium levels up instead of lowering the ph.

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Mrkosar

Potassium will sweeten your soil or raise pH. So you might want think about doing both Sulfur and Potassium. SOP will help but it doesn't lower pH.

With any pH over 7 Acid Forming Fertilizer is the only way go.

6. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

It is not far enough out of line to treat. Normal fertilization, acid rain, organic material and soil mineral breakdown will gradually bring it down.