Experience with Seniors

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Nebraska, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Nebraska

Nebraska LawnSite Senior Member

Quoted a fertilization package last week with a senior citizen. This lady was excited to get the information and agreed that 8 applications of N through the year was too excessive. Our program consists of 5 aplications with a preventive insecticide for a total of 6.

The company that was doing it is a National Co similar to some guys name. She contacts them and says that she is switching they ask why and she explains the situation. The immediately say that they can drop 2 of the applications only aerate in the spring rather than spring and fall and also give a 5% seniors discount. The lady calls me up to explain this and says she is staying with the other company. They went overboard for 10 years with her and now give her whats needed only when prompted.

I guess I don't understand the mentality. Why stay with a company that's taken you to the cleaners for 10 years even after they admit you've been taken to the cleaners.

This is why I do not market directly to seniors. She was a referral from a customer that came with us 5 years ago.

Anyone with similar experiences?

2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

once they get something they wont change. i have a landscape customer that loves my work, referrs me and all, but she wont let me do the mowing because she has kept the same guys for 5 years, i offered lower price more services and all (nice long, across the street) but they wont budge.

3. greensman

greensman LawnSite Member

Thats Great to hear it happens to other guys. I don't budge. It sounds like you don't either.

4. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

Had the same thing happen to one of my customers. Had Chem Lawn for about 6 years, lawn looked like sh*#. Was going to drop them but they offered him a free liming (wow, $2 a bag) and he said ok. Never can understand them either.

Mike

5. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

All of this goes to show you that consumers don't thiink like us. We're way to rational and emotional. We need to think like consumers in our business dealings.

6. Nebraska

Nebraska LawnSite Senior Member

I agree Harold.

7. RoyaleRcr

RoyaleRcr LawnSite Member

When I get a customer that has been treated like that. I tell them to DEMAND that the overcharger rebate them for the last however many years they overcherged them. Sometimes that shocks the customer back to reality. Sometimes it wont. Good Luck.