1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Experience with sulkies needed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Nov 5, 2002.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I'd like to hear good/bad experieces. Good/Bad designs. Where they can/can't be used. Sit/stand styles. So on and so forth.

2. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I would do a search first and that should answer all of your questions. There are dozens of pages on sulkies. Personally, I have a single-wheel Velke attached to my Scag 52" Hydro and the only thing I dislike about it is that it leaves an ugly line down my beautiful stripes. :rolleyes: I plan on getting a dual wheel Velke in the spring though. Hope this helps
  3. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

I have had 1 wheel, 2 wheel and fixed 2 wheel caster models. The one wheel is cheap and works good if you are under 200 lbs. The 2 wheel is good for hiding your tracks and heavier people. Hydro,s are best with sulkys because of the squeeze to back up ability. I have tried a caster wheel unit on a belt drive and it was horrible. On any very slight hill it is very hard to make straight lines impossible even. Maybe with a hydro unit and bigger deck than a 48" it would be better.
  4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I've used a '00 eXmark TTHP 48" (hydro, floating deck) with a 2 wheel Jungle Jim sulky, works good but doing real sharp turns (one wheel rev. with other fwd.) is alittle challenging until your good with it, I agree two wheels definately better than one. I also agree hydro over belt especially with a sulky and on hills. The rig I described above is gonna be mine soon and I am thinking about making, buying, or modifying this sulky to be a castering type, I don't know yet. A TrimmerTrap Bull Rider 2 wheel sulky (switches from caster to trailer mode!) looks great. I may try to make one like that just cause I have time to burn this winter and feel I can do just as good for less money. I can tell you that the Jungle Jim 2 wheeler took some tuff s h i t when i used it, as well as the mower. Having used fixed deck gear drive, no sulky and a floating deck hydro with sulky I can tell you for sure which is gonna be better with a sulky and on hills and for general productivity, etc. The floating deck changes height in just about 15 seconds or so unlike the gear drive (while still maintaining level cut).
    Here's some good advice: try to get the equipment before you will be using it (like this winter) so you can practice on it and be upto full productivity next year when you are makin' money.
    Good luck,
  5. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used the Bullrider and it was very nice. Now I use the Exmark sitdown steerable sulky on my TTHP 48" 17 Kawi and it by far the best of the two. It's good on slopes and tucks in tight on turns. I have never used a 1 wheel design so I can't comment.
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Does your sulky turn by casters? Can you stand up on it when your butt gets tired? Do you have any troubles getting stuck with it?
  7. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 52inch Scag Hydro, and have a Jungle Jim 2 wheeled velkie and once you get used to how it turns when you turn the machine its actually fun, yeah it will jack knife at times when you need to back up but its not bad, just step off and straighten it out no biggy, otherwise just turn out of it instead of backing up if you can. Wouldnt recomend using one on a hill, can make ruts if you arent careful. But if you had to choose look for a two wheeled one, no tire mark that you get with a one wheeled one.
  8. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Envy, no it turns with steering rods. The wheels do not turn completely like castor wheels. It's not a standup/sitdown sulky persay but I do stand up when my rear gets tired or if the terrain is really rough. So far I have not been stuck with it. I'm sorry I can't explain better how it works for I'm not real mechanicly inclined. You have to see one to actually understand how it works. Maybe someone else here can explain better, sorry. Good luck.
  9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Do You have a hard time backing up that Sulky?
    The sulky follows the mower in turns. a fixed sulky Makes the mower longer but a trailering sulky stays To the side when turning.
  10. ceaman

ceaman LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I like the 2 wheel Velkie helps the stripes on the Exmark 36" belt drive (12 hp kaw). My machine pulls it fine!