1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

experienced ford 6.0 guys - looking at 2004 550 dump

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by alldayrj, Oct 12, 2012.

1. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

But ask them and they'll tell you more smoke=more power!!!!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. DQL10

DQL10 LawnSite Senior Member

More smoke means more unburnt fuel which means a less efficent engine.
  3. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

I have one.

Would NEVER buy another. Every day driving it I'm nervous. not even 60,000 miles yet

Spent a lot of money on various repairs (idlers, belts shredding, erg, oil cooler, back brake locks up sometimes, ac, water pump, fuse issues.... etc etc)

Gonna ride out the newer erg/oil repairs and then hopefully do a bulletproof on it next year.
  4. joef450snowplow

joef450snowplow LawnSite Senior Member

Do the pressure test get it nice and hot then slowly and I mean slowly open the cap for the coolent tank and if it feels like it wants to shoot off most likely you need to do heads and gaskets if not and buy the. Truck if you want it to last you have to keep it cool so an oil cooler and all that other **** should be done and once you bullet proof it you got a strong fast motor there and you could even hip and get even more power out of it
  5. DQL10

DQL10 LawnSite Senior Member

Usually those coolant caps are the cause of the head gasket failure. Think about it, they use that same coolant cap for a diesel engine on the smallest engine ford makes. It never held enough pressure from the get go. Best thing to do about that is go to your local auto parts store and get a new cap. Also that extra smoke you were talking to in your first post could be caused by a sticky injector. Try putting some diesel kleen or 2 cycle oil in the tank when filling up. Please note, I am by no means a mechanic. Just going off of what I read in the past when searching for a 6.0 and what others around me use for their 6.0's.
  6. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

7. alldayrj

No i got some advice on powerstroke.org that they make test strips to test for combustion gas in the coolant res so I've been tryin to locate those and then go back and take it for a longer drive and test it out.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

I'd have to say sticky injector from sitting. The FICM isn't an expensive fix but it does suck when you go to leave the shop in the morning and the truck just turns. My 6.0 has had over 9k put into it since I bought it. It has been running well since they replaced the FICM, oil pump, and six injectors this past spring.
  9. Justin

Justin LawnSite Member

I have one and work on them from time to time. Like some have said letting a vgt turbo sit for that long is bad. The smoke could be a number of things. I wouldn't worry to awful much about it unless its a constant smoke. Biggest thing is do a egr delete and get rid of that egr cooler!! Just do your maintance on it and you will be fine. Alot of people complain about doing 2-3K for egr delete and headstuds on a 6.0, but you can say the same for injectors in a duramax(or tranny for that matter) or a tranny in a dodge.
  10. alldayrj