experienced ford 6.0 guys - looking at 2004 550 dump

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by alldayrj, Oct 12, 2012.

1. tbambersvc

tbambersvc LawnSite Member

Thats real nice. Better off with that than the 550.

2. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks man, thats what I hope. looking for some more opinions on them though. most guys seem to swear by them, and other complain about the 444(7.3) and auto but i'm not sure if they just want it to be something its not. I just want it to be the 550 KILLER lol

3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Only thing you need to consider with a 550 or the low-pro is that if you pull a trailer, it needs to be small as you'll be over CDL with the combined weight.

For instance.

My C3500HD is a 16k truck and I can pull my 10k equipment trailer with it and be right under CDL.

4. alldayrj

yea I get that, I will probably get my CDL this winter while its slow anyway. my current dump is 25500 and I've towed with it, just dont tell anyone ;)

lets not turn this into a CDL thread though, I swear some people search it every time they log on just to stir it up again haha

If anyone has experience with the low - pros please post up, pics included

5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Just bringing it to your attention, that's all.

6. alldayrj

I apreciate it, it wasnt a jab at you
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. B&M

B&M LawnSite Senior Member

I have to agree and I'm a ford guy through and through. To the op It's a nice looking truck, but white smoke is not good as some others have said it could be head gaskets, egr or both.

8. Monroe74

Monroe74 LawnSite Senior Member

Do a compression test on the heads that will answer your question. White smoke is never good when the engine is warm. Because it was sitting is complete bs.

9. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

I've always been told white smoke= water, black=fuel, blue=oil. That being said i wouldn't buy it myself. 6.0s have a bad track record and white smoke isn't good in my book. I would have to lean toward the head gaskets due to the white smoke. All the other problems listed should be black smoke.