Experiences with various Smart Controllers

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ArTurf, Oct 12, 2011.

1. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

I sure wish I knew who I am supposed to be a Rep for.... that way I could go demand my paycheck!

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

:laugh: Interesting how many of us hype something we really like and get called a REP.

3. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Not only do they make a 24, but these days (as of the Irritrol ELITE September 16 newsletter) they also make them in 36 and 48 station versions with pedestal type steel boxes.

Back to the Climate Logic... SWAT tests of Irritrol controllers used with the Climate Logic, according to the same newsletter:

[​IMG]

The only drawback is they only work with the models listed that were made in the last couple of years. You'll see a phone jack connector on the back side of the panel (except on the KwikDial, for which the CL comes with an adapter cable.)

I'll post a photo in a bit of the ESP-SMT weather monitor next to the Climate Logic one. The lack of a self-tipping rain gauge makes it much smaller.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  4. In a drier climate I can see the tipping rain gauge being less important than in an area that gets more rainfall. I guess if I had to pull a number out 20"/year of rainfall would be the break point. Less than 20" go for the smaller monitor. More than 20" get the tipping rain gauge.

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Pete ..... if you would please refrain from talking about subjects you know nothing about we could avoid all the "bickering".

All "smart" controls, be they add on or built in, are doing nothing more than providing an estimate of ET and adjusting the controller to compensate. Call it what you want, bicker all you want, but at the end of the day, they all will still be estimating ET .... or more accurately ..... PET.

Wake up Pete .... I said it is an ET add-on despite product claims to the contrary. Beyond that, there are two serious drawbacks to this add-on.

First, it requires your peak summer time irrigation requirements be programmed with extreme accuracy. Any deviation on either side of actual peak requirements will impact the performance of the calculation and your irrigation efficiency.

Second, it only allow for a 2 week interval or less, unless I missed something. What happens if you have an interval over 14 days?

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Chipmunks and Cheese are SICK .......... REP ........ !

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Where are you getting that number from? We get at least that much or more rain in a year and yet a rain gauge of any kind is practically worthless in the central valley.

8. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Unless properly maintained and tested, I would agree with sonny.

9. irrig8r

[​IMG]

ESP-SMT monitor on the left, Climate Logic sensor on the right

10. irrig8r

Frankly Kiril, you seem to be the instigator of a good share of it....

The way it reads is mostly about your attitude. You can't seem to correct anyone else's versions of facts w/o throwing in a put down at the same time. Is it an inherent meanness? I really can't tell.

I appreciate the knowledge you bring to this forum, but sometimes you DO come across as an elitist know-it-all.

Pete, OTOH, can't seem to NOT react to you and I think you get a big kick out of that and egg him on. You are a master baiter.