Expert opinions needed. 1 man, how many yards in this example?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sedge, Aug 5, 2007.

1. sedge

sedge LawnSite Fanatic

Ok guys, I know a lot of you have a ton of more experienced then me, so if'n you could, please let me know what you think. I currently work with my brother and am thinking of going on my own, but I need to try and figure out what i could do by myself. I think I know, but this will be different then we how we are doing it here now, so I am unsure. I will give the parameters on what equipment I'll be using and what the yards are like. i will only use the type of equipments listed, so please don't tell me to get some thing bigger. In our market, bigger stuff does not equal more lawns..... :-(

I'm not lazy, but I'm not going to kill myself either. I will go with a good quicker steady pace, but not be running.

Here it goes:

Work day:
    Will be at and start my first lawn at 7 am and will work till 6-6:30 pm.

Nissan Frontier
    enclosed trailer
    1, 36" better out door with step saver and bagger (accelerator)
    1, 21" commercial with bagger
    2 line trimmers, 1 new and 1 slightly used for a back up
    2 edgers, same as line trimmer
    2 blowers, again same thing

Work 5 days a week, with the 6th day in case of rain
    3-4 days the route would be all with within 4 sq. miles
    1-2 days would be with in 6-10 sq. miles
    This does not include the initial drive time to start the route. I am not counting that as I am looking for the actual number of yards i can mow from 7am to 6 pm on average.

Yard sizes:
    1 yard would be 25,000 - 40,000 sq ft of lot. Not grass size, lot size
    1-2 yards 15,000 - 25,000 sq ft
    the rest would be under 12,000 sq ft and most would be 6,000 - 9,000 sq ft lot size.

Yard requirements by home owner:
    2-3 per day on average for baggers, can use 36 with step saver, but would be less then 15,000 sq. ft lot size. Will not bag anything bigger, but would bag a front yard of the bigger size properties
    1-2 yards would have to be mowed by 21" in front yards at least

Yard types:
    99% Bermuda
    85% irrigated
    25% would be EOW (every other week)

Extra work:
    2 yards would have flower beds that are maintained weekly. Not getting them in order, but flower beds that have been maintained and I will just maintain. Must be done weekly or i will not do them. These flower beds are just normal for what you might find on a 10,000 sq ft lot with house. Nothing elaborate.
    1 yard per day would require hedge trimming maintenance. This would be every 4-5 weeks and must be a regular scheduled service or I woudn't do it. So just a quick trim before I mow, then mulch it up.

I don't know off hand what else to include, but if you have any questions, let me know and I'll answer the best I can.

I really do appreciate it very much!!!
  2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

What are you wanting to know? If you have the equipment, you already have an idea of how much you can get done.
  3. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

How many yards can you do? One. Then you build from there and keep adding until you feel conformable with what you have.
  4. sedge

sedge LawnSite Fanatic

How many per day, yes. I need to know if I can make enough income. I need to do 15 of these types of lawns per day. I already have the lawns if i want them. I will get them from my brother.
  5. sedge

sedge LawnSite Fanatic

How many per day, yes. I need to know if I can make enough income. I need to do 15 of these types of lawns per day. I already have the lawns if i want them. I will get them from my brother. If i do 15 per day, thats about 45 min a piece, including drive time yard to yard. Maybe 5 mins average. Some are in the same neighborhoods some days. Maybe 2 or 3 on average and one neighborhood might have 10 of the smaller ones with some bigger ones in a near by neighborhood.
  6. sedge

sedge LawnSite Fanatic

No experts here today? Come on guys. Please.
  7. Darrin A.

Darrin A. LawnSite Member

If you already have the equipment and can get the jobs from your brother, go find out how many you can do by doing them. Your plan sounds good to me. The only real way to know if you can do up to X amount of jobs per day is to try.
  8. sedge

sedge LawnSite Fanatic

Don't have the equipment and don't have the yards yet. I need to know what some of you experienced guys think, as I am making a budget. I have to pay for the equipment and the yards. I know what those yards are paying and I know how much I'll need to pay my brother and how much the equipment will cost.

I don't want to lay out $30,000 for equipment and a bunch for the route unless I am pretty confident that it could be done.

9. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

lose the push mower and all the accounts that it requires.
    upgrade to a bigger ztr and work 4 days a week instead of 6.
    mulch everything with a good mulch kit/gator blades adn work lazy 3 days instead of hard 4.
  10. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

well lets already have the lawns if you want them. Ask your brother how much he charges for the yards. then you could take the average price and multiply that by the number of yards you want. If the average is $25 and you do 40 a week then you would make $1000 a week, then figure your expenses.