Expert Opinions on Walker price

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hboyd_com, Apr 23, 2003.

1. hboyd_com

hboyd_com LawnSite Member
    from PA

I have a chance to buy a Walker MT20 with ~600 hours on it. It is a 20 HP with a 52" deck. The mower is supposedly in excellent condition and has recently received new blades, 2 new tires on the back and one new spindle. It needs a hydraulic strut on the back replaced but other than that and a few scratches where the paint needs touched-up it is in good shape. I'll get to see it and test it tomorrow but I wanted to get an idea of what a fair price would be.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

2. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

3. hboyd_com

from PA

Thanks for the quick response. He is asking around $3000 but he said he would "work with me" on the price.

4. terracare

terracare LawnSite Senior Member

you are only going to get about 400 hours more on it statistically speaking. Ballpark $3000 but I could be wrong. Once you start messing with the hydros it gets pretty expensive...

for 3000 you can almost buy a brand new commercial walk-behind... our first mower was a 48 in. exmark metro hp wb for 3500 or so...

5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

HUH?

Are you saying a Walker mower is only good for a thousand hours?

I've seen them with as much as 5000 hours on them on the original equipment. This is a local company that does all their own maintenance. Still running strong.

Regular preventative maintenance is the key.

6. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

"Are you saying a Walker mower is only good for a thousand hours?"

I am pretty sure he is talking about the motor. I do know a guy with 3000 hours on his machine which is 7 years old.

7. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I'd jump on it for $3000, offer $2500 and see what he says.

8. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

is it a 48" or a 52". i was under the impression that 48 was the biggest ghs that there was because without the ghs system then all you have is another mower and would not be worth that

9. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

terracare quote
    you are only going to get about 400 hours more on it statistically speaking. Ballpark $3000 but I could be wrong. Once you start messing with the hydros it gets pretty expensive...

I wish someone would have told me that my Walker was only going to last 1000 hours.. Someone might have to tell the Walker too seeing as it's still going strong and it's well over 1000 hours.

10. hboyd_com

from PA

Thanks...

I looked at the Walker last night. Here are the details:

It has a 48" deck with the GHS system.
    It has 846 hours on it
    20 HP Kohler.
    It was built in 1996.
    It appears to be in excellent shape.

The guy that owns it is a local cop. He bought it from a repo outfit that he has ties to.

The belts are new. Fluids changed. New blades. One new spindle on the deck. New bogey wheels on the back.

He told me his bottom price is $2500. The owner is a friend of a friend so I believe I can trust him.... and he is somewhat fanatical about maintenance on his equipment.

It sounds like a deal to me.

Opinions please?