1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Explain chipping

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.lawnsite.com/buttons/jump.php?i' started by vipermanz, Jan 7, 2003.

1. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

Can someone tell me exaclty what chipping a weld is?, i just bought a new Mig welder and dumb me can't figure it out!!:) :)
  2. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

back in the old days we would chip off the slag after stick weld
  3. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

There are two reasons for cleaning welds. As J&R mentioned stick welding leaves a thick slag coating over the weld. This coating must be removed before painting the part. If not removed, it will fall off later and start rusting. It is also removed to reduce inpurities for a second and third pass when needed. Mig welds do deposit a small amount of slag which must be removed. It appears as small puddles of translucent amber stuff. Also knock off any balls of matreial found around the weld. An all,wire brush or chisel should do the trick.

4. Buy a chipping hammer any welding place has then they sort of look like a mini pick axe sort of. It is well worth it if you are arc welding
  5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

A 4" angle grinder with a flat twist knot wire wheel is the only answer for cleaning welds its almost all we use in our shop when doing multiple welding passes. The wire wheel digs all the slag out of the weld and shows where the porosity is you need a clean every little bit of slag off before you weld on top of the previous pass. With mig welding the flux is thinner so you get less slag on the the weld and with gas shielded wire you don't have any slag at all.

A chipping hammer is cheap you can get them at any welding shops when you use them to chip slag off make sure you wear safety glasses a hot piece of slag in the eye hurts.