1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Explain the process please.

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by MOW ED, May 12, 2003.

1. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I am extremely impressed with your mower and your company in general. That being said, I am a very small operation. Mom and pop is the description so I am not pulling in tons of cash from mowing. I currently run a 98 Toro 44" hydro and a Walker 26EFI GHS with the main deck being a 52SD for mowing and a 42" collection deck for spring and fall cleans.

I want a Hustler Super Z and I know that you are planning to release the 28EFI in August. That is the mower I want but I have recently grown in customer base and I am feeling the time pinch now. My plan is to have my wife run the Hustler and I run the Walker unless my wife is not available, then I will run all the wide opens with the Hustler and cut the smaller areas with the Walker.

Can you explain what the process is for adding an engine option to your line. You say that if Kohler can supply them, you will be able to sell them in August. So how does your company count on this happening and what has to be done to your manufacturing process to make it happen.
    Is there retooling that must be done to the machine? I know that you currently have Kohler engine options so what does it take to add a line?

I guess I will say that if you have a prototype with a 28EFI on it now I would seriously consider buying it. I will not be satisfied with anything other than a EFI engine for the money that I spend. Please keep me in mind for the release of this engine. I really want to be a customer.

The current dealer in my area is a HUGE ExMaRk dealer and sells tons of them. They are Hustler dealers too but this area is big Exmark. I want to change that. If you want to talk, I am ready to listen. Thanks for being here and listening. I hope we can become partners.
  2. Artman

Artman LawnSite Member

There will be no tooling changes for the 28EFI other than a few holes for mounting various EFI components._ Additional parts that may need to be changed include the fuel tanks, the console, throttle cable,_ as well as mounting locations for the EFI control module, fuel pump, tank control valve, EFI control relays and_probably a new wire harness. The EFI also requires a different muffler._ Kohler is coming in this week to review the application.

Usually an engine change has several surprises that have to be dealt with. Engine manufacturers must approve the application and heat test the engine in the unit to be sure they will warranty the engine. All this takes time.

It took us nearly a year to get Kawasaki's approval for a remote heavy-duty air cleaner.

I hope this answers your questions.