1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Explain this to me...

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mrusk, Oct 29, 2007.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

People seem to think this is going to be a proablem.

Lets say i put down the base for a patio, compacted it, and get it perfectly level/pitched. Then it freezes sinces it winter time. Lets say i keep my bedding sand in a tent. Why would there be a proablem installing on frozen base? Please explain.
  2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

frozen water molecules expand, when thawed they reduce in size and create tiny holes that result in depressions. when i put in my own patio/walk it was before mothers'day, well we ended up having some rain and refreeze, at this point i had completed the patio portion but had a little of the walk still to screed and lay. needless to say there is a slight dip in one portion of the walk:cry: course if anyone notices and so far in 3 years I am the only one, i'll just tell'em its to allow water to drain from the one side of the walk to the other:laugh:
  3. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I agree with GRN MTN.......if you could be sure it's bone dry when it goes in and you make a good effort to keep it covered I'd say you'll be ok, We had a similar situation going into the winter last season and covered our compacted base with black platic to avaoid it getting wet and thinking it might warm it quickly in the morning when the sun got on the plastic. We have had no calls and used pictures of the job taken this spring in advertising, no visibly noticeable issues, though we did not check anything with a transit or level after the install.......
  4. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats some damn good answers there guys.
  5. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Right now i have the base down within 1/2 tolerance. What i'll do is wait untill around turkey day or however late i can push it and get the base set perfect. They i will cover the heck out of it with tarps and plastic. I think i'll be okay.
  6. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know if I would push it off that far. Freezing can easily set in before then. Get it done as soon as the project allows. Don't screw yourself.