Explain....!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Turf Commando, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

If the economy has seen better days and gas is (HIGH) why is there so many new lawn services ....?
    I'm seeing more and more each day and even more strange they have commercial equipment etc...

2. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

maybe its because they need to earn more. Doesnt mean they will survive. There are many new ones here as well. All the power to them. I was new once.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Because ...
    Unemployment is at an all time high too, at least that's my take on it.

4. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Simple, its called low barriers to entry. Any joe smoe can go to lowes now and buy a complete package with trailer and mower all on their high interest credit cards and then they are a lawn biz.

5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Ya people are losing their jobs and then going into lawncare. Textile's went under here and then there was a massive influx of LCO's. We lost 30 to 60,000 textile jobs to overseas markets. 1000s of manufacturing jobs went just over the border into Mexico.

6. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, my entire town was built around the textile industry, and they are out of business. But at the same time, I think it is a bad idea to start in this business now myself. Here I am itching to get out of the business and these people are trying to get started. Who's smarter, me or them? This industry is so flooded in my area and our unemployment rate is soaring too. So with what seems like a thousand LCOs in my area, combined with a high unemployment rate, there is not many customers seeking service. Kind of dumb to start a new LCO to me. But oh well....To each his own.:confused:

7. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

American Airlines is one of our biggest employers here...they announced they were gonna axe 1300 workers...I figure there'll be alot of new lawn businesses here too. I guess a guys got to do what he can to pay the bills.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Basically what I was going to say...just different words. The entry is so easy. as a matter of fact, I can't think of anything else to make side money on a regular basis - that is any easier to get in to...and almost the easiest thing to do. It's so easy, even a caveman can do it.

9. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

True, but these guys are running Commercial deere, eXmark, etc...

10. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

You got that right. Lot of new guys out my way started up due to a job loss or "prospective" job loss. What else can they do? Think about it. You go through college, get your MBA in some specialized field, and then get fired. What do you do when there are little or no jobs in that field to be had? You do what you can to survive, and mowing offers little start-up overhead and minimal training(unless you're into super high-profile props).