Explaining Different Stripe Patterns to Customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WisecarverLawnCare, Apr 28, 2014.

1. scag2015

scag2015 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes seems like he's got it just needs to do it:) and my quote "customer is always right even when he's wrong" you're correct, there mostly always wrong:) I'm not saying to damage their property by doing what they said to do, defiantly more of a light seance of taking the customers option, but for best service explain to them the health way/proper way to do things:)
    Why I put the quote (as and example) I have a great customer I've done for quite a few years great guy loves to have everything looking great and has great grass etc. says one time to me cut a 3" (fescue) (which on such nice fescue and other fescue lawns I actually cut around 4") but his grass was about 12" (he let it grow a lot before he wanted to do first cut) (he likes to call for the first time) but he said he knows that I should be using the rule of thirds. So something did not add up :) so I cut at 7" then down to about 3.5:) well I guess that was a long uneasily post but anyways:):)
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. scag2015

Yep:)!! Crazy too, same guy has ALL weeds and sometimes he prizes his lawn and want it cut perfectly, then sometime he wants it bi weekly and just scalp it so it does not grow back fast:)? Yeah:), kind of funny, I deal with them generally how most of you'll do, keep the same height then ask customer is that better? Generally there like, oh yeah much better:) :p
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. WisecarverLawnCare

WisecarverLawnCare LawnSite Member

Yes, I have pulled that move more than once with a couple clients :clapping:.
    I feel like I need to write up a guide or some good information on how things should be properly done to hand out to new clients from now on. And take it to a few of my current ones as well. Just to eliminate confusing down the road.

4. scag2015

Yeah that a great idea!:) never really thought of that, that would really be cool!:) make them really professional ( like your cards and flyers etc.) I think that would definatly impress customers a lot more, you giving them a little booklet of how your yard is going to be serviced properly and with care:) great idea!!:)
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. WisecarverLawnCare

WisecarverLawnCare LawnSite Member

Yep, it would be the same to us as buying a new mower and having a manual explaining how to operate it and how to properly care for it.

6. scag2015

Yeah exactly:), and for me properly take care of equipment is big:) I'm crazy on clean equipment, blow off after every use, then wipe down at end of the day:) defiantly keep track of maintenance , always check oil (learned that the hard way:)) etc.:)
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. guybrushthreepwood

guybrushthreepwood LawnSite Member
    from WA

This.

First you should try explaining a little more to the customer that it's not a good idea to mow the same pattern every week.
    If that doesn't work, and they still insist, just offset it by a few inches. You won't have to worry about rutting, and I highly doubt the customer would even notice.
    If they still complain: A. Do some more explaining or B. Run away!
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

never had a customer ask or demand the same cut pattern.

fine pix 006.jpg

9. M&L

M&L LawnSite Member

So much of the nice :laughing:

That one lawn is probably the total SqFt of 15 of the house I do
    Posted via Mobile Device