1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Explaining head to head spacing to customers

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mikegyver, May 11, 2013.

1. Mikegyver

Mikegyver LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you explain head to head spacing to customers when they ask? Like "Why are all 4 heads watering the same spot?" (I.e. the middle of the 4 heads) or "That area is getting watered too much because its being hit by all of those heads"
    I wanted to say, that's because I designed it right, but I kept my mouth shut.
    Any thoughts on this? :sleeping:
    Mike

2. stebs

stebs LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe sketch it out on paper and show them the spots that don't get water if you didn't do head to head spacing??

3. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

You can start by explaining to your customer your goal in the design is to obtain 100% coverage not head to head spacing. The method( but not always) Mostlikely to achieve that goal is placing heads so they water head to head. On some locations head to head doesn't automatically mean you will have 100% coverage. so a good design is what's important not head to head.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. jcr4au

jcr4au LawnSite Member

I tells the customer heads are designed from the manufacture to spray to one another typically in a square or triangle layout. To not have head to head coverage causes them to be inefficient if not useless. If they need a system with a non-head to head design then I let them know I am not the guy to hire.

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

It's really about uniformity of distribution, and how a head-to-head arrangement can maximize it, which, in turn, can lower watering costs.

6. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

use words like
    uniformity
    distribution rate
    precip rate /MPR
    GPM/psi
    explain all these things and if they don't get it tell them to come here we can set them straight.
    I love using the reference " well hell, you can put a very large sprinkler head on top of the roof and call it a day"

good luck..

7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

You also would be advised to explain "the dough nut syndrome", which can be caused by lack of head-to-head coverage, as well as lack of gpm/psi. I do believe Rain-Bird designed the 5000 series rotors w/MPR nozzles to front-load more aggressively, knowing most contractors could not do a proper design or use a tape measure. :dizzy:

8. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Yep their is a lot of head scratching when ever theirs a tape measure involved.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

As long as you are in the education mode, explain that systems get weaker not stronger as they grow older. That means head to head may in a few years be less than optimum, therefore you design and regulate accordingly.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

Just say it's right and that a properly designed system needs each head to hit the next head in line for a nice uniform coverage.

Nozzle swap!