Explaining Mulching vs Bagging to Customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mastruck04, May 9, 2011.

1. mastruck04

mastruck04 LawnSite Member

How do you explain benefits of mulching vs bagging to your customers?

It seems this year I'm running into a lot of customers who want their lawn bagged.

I have a new customer who wants her 3/4 acre bagged. I really dont want to buys a bag for my Z.

Any thoughts?

2. j-ville native

j-ville native LawnSite Senior Member

u can say "mulching cuts each grass blade into fine clippings that fall back into your lawn where they are unnoticeable. The clippings provide nutrients and may even reduce fertilization requirements"

3. KINGMADE

KINGMADE LawnSite Member

If you charge enough for bagging. That is usually enough for most customers to want you to mulch.

4. yardatwork

yardatwork LawnSite Senior Member

If they have dogs or kids...grass will be tracked in from mulching no matter how fine you cut the grass. In my opinion...bagging grass is far superior and more professional. I don't care how good of a mulching system you have...grass will never look as nice as if you bag (depending on the state/area you live). High grass isn't easy to mulch...but...if you go at the right speed...you can bag that grass.

5. RandallM

RandallM LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Great point!! If you must bag, bid it so that it is worth your time and effort.

6. Merkava_4

Merkava_4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree. :)

7. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Not true, if N is managed correctly and mulch system and operator are up to it grass tracking is a non issue. IMO building SOM and healthier turf by mulching is far superior and more professional than bagging. If the total management process is up to speed the cut of a mulched lawn is just as good and the turf quality will be better. To the OP, I never discuss mulching with new customers, I just do it and I have yet have any blowback. Most never know and could care less.

8. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

If I had to bag everything I would give this business up. Mulching is also a joke in northern lush damp tall fescue. I have yet to see a mower that was worth a ---- at mulching spring time tall fescue. You are in PA and have the same grass we do and 99% of all crews here (every 8th vehicle on the road is a truck and trailer full of mexicans and mowers) side discharges. Why on earth would a person bag up all the nutrients off a lawn? Makes no sense and that is what I tell customers. When you discharge or mulch the nutrients leach back into the ground to be reused again but when you bag you take away that fert that was applied and dump it in a landfill.

9. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

and don't forget that a blade of grass is 75% water.

10. BrunoT

BrunoT LawnSite Senior Member

"Mulching price $40"
    "Bagging price $55"

or

"I don't bag"