Explaining Mulching vs Bagging to Customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mastruck04, May 9, 2011.

1. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Mulching is way slower than discharge. And I can switch to bagging in 1 minute for the few lawns I do bag...then switch back.

2. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

well if thats the case so be it.....

but if i moved to FL to start up my business (which my parents are always trying to get me to do) i would offer it for anybody that wanted it.

i don't think bagging is that big of a deal unless your talking multipul acres, which i wouldn't be doing any way.

just saying......

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I think it's more like impratical and not impossible, because I have done it. If I were just mowing my own lawn I'd probably mulch year-round. But for production mowing it's just impractical to mulch all the time here, in my opinion.

4. ralph02813

ralph02813 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Charlestown, RI

I would agree 100%. I had a property last year that I cut every week, I picked up and put the grass in my big green landscaper barrels - filled two of them with a pile behind them. I mower blade was set at 4", the week before it was 3.5. The following week I double cut - it took less time.

5. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

yeah i guess impractical could be a better word.

to mulch effectively and turn out a quality cut though you can only take a third or less of the grass off and it has to be dry to do it.

not very practical when you have to mow 10+ lawns a day and can't sit around waiting for the morning dew to burn off.

6. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just that people down here don't care about it. I have NEVER had a request to bag.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Fail, wet or longer grass can be dealt with in many ways with the right equipment and correct management of the schedule and fertilizer program. I have been mulching 10 lawns a day solo for years now.

8. ralph02813

ralph02813 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Charlestown, RI

Zone 6 is Tennessee right! Well up here a proper cutting schedule would have to be twice a week in the spring, in order to mulch, its bag, or side discharge and double cut so if you move up this way you would ruin youor perfect score! :waving:

9. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

When you’re trying to get accounts in an area where you want to UP FRONT tell potential clients we ONLY side discharge or mulch….meanwhile the OTHER LCO’s are running Walkers with huge piles of clippings in their trailer or truck and they are not charging extra for hauling off clippings? Good luck.
    This is the fly in the ointment of this business. One size does not fit all. I mulch and side discharge as much as I can but bagging is often just faster.

My vote is these are the best quotes thus far in this thread....:waving:

10. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

If you're really dedicated to it you can mulch even here in the northeast...I've done it (Turf Tracer HP and Lazer Z HP with full mulch kits). But I had half the accounts I do now and there were times that I had to mow at 1 mph and clean my deck frequently.

If you're in total control of the fertilization, irrigation and mowing schedule and have a good mulching deck and plenty of horse power it can definitely be done.

But if your lawns get away from you due to a prolonged rainy spell or you pick up new accounts that are overgrown or have customers that get quick release liquid fertilizer applications and the resultant explosive growth, it can turn into a nightmare. In that case I would mow tall and then come back a few days later and mow again. Even heavy stands of clover and crabgrass can be a problem. It's one thing to disperse areas of heavy discharged clippings with a blower...it's a totally different matter to try to disperse mush.