Exploding Lawnmower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mrs. H, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

Exploding Lawn Mower Destroys Ga. Home

08/15/2007 06:13 AM MDT

Associated Press Writer

JOHNS CREEK, Ga. -- Danny Fendley started more than just his lawn mower when he tugged at its pull cord _ he started a fire that destroyed his home.

The mower exploded Tuesday in hot, parched conditions.

Fendley was trying to start the mower in the garage of his two-story brick home in this Atlanta suburb when the machine burst into flames. Before he could extinguish the fire, it had spread through the garage.

Then his wife tried to toss a can of gasoline out a window as the blaze spread, but she missed, spreading the fuel "everywhere," Fendley said.

The flames engulfed the house in less than a minute. The couple escaped without serious injury.

(This version CORRECTS Corrects to 'cord' instead of 'chord')
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh boy, this probably means more safety regulations and anti-stupidity devices are on the way.

Probably a spout-less bullet proof sealed gas can, no hole whatsoever, sold with gas already in it, and you can not make it ignite itself.
  3. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

Why would the wife throw gas?
  4. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

something sounds like they wanted the house to burn down. Kinda like wont be able to make the payments
  5. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Yeah, this happened the other day, just north of where I am....It was a homeowner, and a rider if I am not wrong....The mower was more then likely old as dirt, and haven't had a oil change ever....As far as the wife, I guess she was trying to avoid having the gas catch on fire, but missed and spilled all the gas which was the cause of the house burning down....
  6. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah because last time I went to move or throw a gas can I made sure I spilt everylast drop all over my house.
  7. arblazeman

arblazeman LawnSite Member
    from Ar

Never met a wife that wasn't trying to start something.
  8. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

That's what I was thinking.
  9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Send them a business card. What the heck, his grass will still be growing while they rebuild. Always be helpful!
  10. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with you. Can you say Arson? But it'll never be proved.