Expo 2002

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 65hoss, Jul 22, 2002.

1. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

We just got back last night. The show was very good. My brother-in-law, Scotlawncare and I drove up Thursday night.

Friday morning we went to the seminars and then spent most of the day indoors. Just about all day Saturday we were tearing things up. Saturday was the by far the most fun. Sunday we finished seeing anything we didn't see before and picked up a few new toys.

We spent time throughout the weekend with the eXmark guys and the Rocksolid Plugr people.

The eXmark guys really do enjoy their jobs more than anyone should be allowed. Big companies are supposed to be miserable. ;)

eXmark had about the entire fleet of mowers there. I will say the had the cleanest mowers in the outdoor part. They were constantly cleaning and blowing them off. Only problem they had this year was nobody brought any hats. :( Finally after the show was over one of them produced some shirts. :)

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Rocksolid had the new aerator that will go into production there.

The new Hustler Prototype gatemaster was on display. This 48" flips up sideways and drives thru 34" gates.

The Bad Boy mowers open up in every direction you can think of. They do have speed, expecially the "special" on they had. Just in case there were any mower races they brough a 29 HP mower that was tuned on and bigger wheel motors. It ran 21 mph.

The Great Dane Chariot Jr is DANGEROUS. It goes in reverse as fast as it does forward. As I tried to stop the machine in reverse I did one heck of a wheel stand. :dizzy:

The twin motor Dixie Chopper will fly.

Scotlawncare has some good pictures he will be posting later on.

What did the rest of you think about the show?

3. greenngrow

greenngrow LawnSite Senior Member

This was my second time for the show. Really liked the hands on displays. I too purchased some new toys. I am looking forward to the Ride-On spreader spray a purchased. If anyone out there has one please let me know what you think.

4. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I was impressed with the new gatemaster by hustler (you can fit 6 of these on a trailer).

5. jkelton

jkelton LawnSite Member

I've been going to this show since 1986 and have seen alot of changes (from strickly homeowner units to commercial). Believe it or not, I think the show has continually decreased in size over the years. Many of the vendors (particulairly hand held two cycle equipment) have not shown up in a few years. I hope this trend does not continue.

6. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

I'm finnaly home. Actually I've been for a while but havent been online till now.
    Only 7:45 actual drive time for me.
    My neck is still sore from sleeping in my truck last night.

It was great seeing everyone in person. No one looked liked I had expected.
    I would have liked to have seen everone outside of the expo. Oh well, next year. Altho I did hang out with LGF at the clubs & run into various dealers :drinkup:.
    It's really a great city. People are really nice, many things to do, great restraunts, great nightlife And of cource thoes Kentucky women.

The Huster Gate Master proto. was just finished the day before the expo. Thay said many modifications are still needed before it goes into full production. Mainly adjusting & adding a larger spring for lifing the deck up.

Talked to the Dixy Chopper rep. from NY. He's a great guy & is in the process of signing up a bunch of dealers in my area. So I looks like next year (or2) I'll be able to finnaly buy one & have local support. :cool: Unfortunatly I wasnt able to snag a hat & shirt.

Most everything there was great. I was extremely impressed & I am definatly going back next year. Seemed like people from the Expo pretty much took over the city. You couldnt go anywhere w/o seeing someone who was there for the Expo.

7. cglservice

cglservice LawnSite Member
    from Ky

First time at the show a little disapointed to see some of the well known venders were not present.
    Lots of fun with some of the big track loaders.

8. Well I did get to see alot lot of new products and spent much time explaining the Flex-Deck to show goers.

I did miss many LS people that said they were there.

How ever I did get to put some faces to the names and enjoyed meeting many of you including PJ from P&J Lawncare.

The flip up deck mower from Hustler was pretty neat.

Played on some skid steers and mini excavators, and yes mowers.

BTW I made a purchace also I should have it soon.

9. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

This was my first Expo. I was impressed with all the items to be looked at. I was told repeatedly it was huge, but you know how it is. You don't quite believe it until you see it in person. I got a chance to meet Flex-deck, P J Lawncare, and Lawngodfather. Great guys, I would imagine like most of the rest of LawnSite guys and gals. It was hotter than heck there. I got back home to the elevation of 6000 ft and it almost seemed cold compared to back east.

I also drove thru a lot of very dry country. One rest area in MO I stopped at there were one inch cracks between the dirt and side walk from being dry. That is pretty bad.

10. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I went in 2000 for the 1st time and again this year. It seems to me that there were a LOT more products the first time.

This year, I went specifically to look at leaf truck loaders and only found a few there. I was talking to one of the mfg reps and he told me that this was probably their last year. He said it the Expo wanted so much money it wasn't really worth it.

I also noticed that there weren't many software products displayed, and most of those were for dealers.