1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Expose yourself while working

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by We kick grass, Feb 12, 2002.

1. We kick grass

We kick grass LawnSite Member

An issue in any business is exposure and one of the main topics if you were do go to an ad agency for help. We have been interested in reduing our trucks and equipment with lets say a more flashier color and seperating ourselves from all the other companies in our region. Many of the large contracting business here have done this and had great success with it. We just had our logo redone last year and it helped. Our feelings are that if you are on a project that there should be no doubt in anyones mind who is there doing the work. The more work you are seen doing the more confidence you build in the community and with other contractors and developers. Our maintenance trailers are rolling bill boards for us and we let people know just what we do. What are you thoughts on this subject and have any of you done the same thing to build your businesses repurtation and exposure. Thanks for your imput guys and gals!!!:blush:
  2. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, I feel the same way. I just got vinyl signs done on both of my lawn trucks. I also had vynal signs made for the back of the trailers. We do a fair amount of advertising. (2 local papers, direct mailings, 20k flyers per year and for the first time this year the yellow pages) When I first got into this business I thought word of mouth and referals would help me grow alot more than it actualy has. What I've noticed is alot of the neighbors don't talk that much. Ive had new customers call me from and add or a flyer and don't even know im cutting their next door neighbors lawn. I don't think the lettering is going to give me a ton of new business but I do think it looks very profesional.

On the other hand I have seen some other LCO's driving down the road with sloppy painted wood signs on their trucks and trailers. I always think of the CIRCUS when I see that and i dont know why. All i know is that spray or brush painted B.S. is worse than having no signs at all. WKG I can tell you probably have profesional signs made. One other thing, if your trucks and crews look profesional the cheap people stay inside. Customers don't expect "a deal".

When you say "bill board" do you have enclosed trailers?
  3. plow kid

plow kid Banned

post a pic.... any pic and this thread will get 1000 views in 5 minnutes:D :D here I will help.

4. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

I am a firm beleiver in image, and looking professional. All our trucks are lettered professionally and they stand out and look good. All our employees wear a uniform and look presentable when they are working on the job sites. I think clients apprecaite that kind of stuff. ;)
  5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

2 man crew,

I know my cost will vary from yours, but I am trying to get an idea of what vinyl lettering will cost a guy. What did you pay to have your trucks done, if you don't mind me asking?

6. _GUNNER_8

_GUNNER_8 LawnSite Member
    from TN

$85 a door , $125 tailgate signs,$60 yard signs
  7. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

I called a few sign places. I got prices that ranged from $80 - $120 installed (3 color, 15/35inches) per door. If you install them your self the prices ranged from $40 - $90 per door (3 color, 15/35 inches) Some places said they only sell the signs installed.
    Sign-a-rama in Burnsville MN was the cheapest at $40.00.
    Maybe you can order them over the phone? (952) 892-3590