expotential landscape timbers

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by yrdandgardenhandyman, Jul 13, 2004.

1. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

These are 6"x6"x8' recycled plastic landscape timbers. Has anyone used these and are they the same install as, say, railroad ties?
    And, how do they hold up to sunlight. I mean, does sunlight degrade them like other plastic products?

2. yrdandgardenhandyman

from midwest

Since nobody has had any experience with these and I have just installed a 32' x 24" wall with it I'll tell about my experience, in case anybody's interested.
    They are pretty heavy, at least 80 lbs. I cut them with an old 7 1/4 skil saw with an old plywood blade. Worked pretty good but smelled like burning oil. Also, there is more than plastic in these timbers. I found everything from plastic to 16 ga. copper wire to ink pen springs to small nails. Wear a face shield.
    Drilling worked best with an 18" masonary bit.
    They were pretty straight and look pretty good. I guess they are paintable but we didn't. They're supposed to last 75 to 100 years. We'll see. :p
    All in all I thought they were ok and will use them again.

3. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a pretty neat product. I don't think I have ever heard of them before. Whats the cost per timber? What do you do if you have to have a cut edge showing? Got any pictures of this job?

4. yrdandgardenhandyman

from midwest

I will post them in a little bit.

Retail, $21.95. Cut edges weren't a problem. I was able to keep them on the inside. The cut edges don't look bad if you keep the cut straight as with wood. The neat thing is the ends look like the sides. They can also be painted.
    Here's their site.

http://www.xpotentialproducts.com/

5. Rich Fiser

Rich Fiser LawnSite Member
    from Ia

Here's a couple of pics.

website2.jpg

6. Rich Fiser

Rich Fiser LawnSite Member
    from Ia

Up the street you see a delapidated RR tie wall. The one I replaced was lieing on the sidewalk. None of the other homeowners wanted to replace theirs so I had to treat it as a standalone wall. Now they're talking of calling me AFTER theirs falls. Gonna cost 'em big. Save a penny, screw a dollar I always say. I just hope they don't fall on one of the neighborhood kids.

7. desertrat

desertrat LawnSite Member

very interesting product. I went to the website and requested info. I could use this product if it holds up to the dry, summer heat here.

8. Crossfit

Crossfit LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I am looking for any help on where this product can be purchased at. I cannot seem to locate this in my area. I am in Rockford Illinois!! Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and I hope someone can help me out!!!*trucewhiteflag*

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2009