Expsosed Poplar Tree Roots

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Mikepark1, May 15, 2008.

1. Mikepark1

Mikepark1 LawnSite Member

I have to rather large poplar trees in my back yard and the roots are starting
    too show in areas approx. 3-5 feet from the base. How can I deal with these?
  2. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

How about mulch around the trees. You could bring in soil and build it up also. Cutting poplars or severe damage to them will cause them to send out hundreds of clones that pop up all over. I'm not sure if damage to the roots will have the same effect though. I would protect them regardless, mulch seems easiest to me.
  3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

How long do poplars last up there. We have seen a few that were standing and alive to about 16" diameter. Most are standing dead by 12". The wind trashes them b4 the last leaf dies.

What he said... Otherwise just take them out.
  4. SuperDuty335

SuperDuty335 LawnSite Member

In NC they get to be 5'+ in diameter.
  5. J&A Lawn Care

J&A Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

yes they get huge around here.I just had one cut that got struck by lightning 2 times and it was 125' tall.
  6. Plant Wizard

Plant Wizard LawnSite Member

Putting dirt over the roots will smother and kill the tree.
    Like the others have said, these trees are fast growing and short lived.
    Cover with mulch, or trim them to the ground with chain saws.:weightlifter:
  7. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

If you are going to cut them down I would strongly suggest girdling them 1 year before you cut them down. Stump treating will not stop them from resprouting either. One large poplar can send up hundreds of clones, and as stated they grow fast. The clones can be cut and treated, but it's a lot more work.