Ext. cab or crew cab?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mowerbrad, Jan 18, 2010.

1. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

When Im working, I have my back seat crammed with junk, and tools, but try to keep it all in big plastic totes, so nothing will tear up or stain the seats. I do not think you will regret buying a crew cab, if just for the added space.

2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Take 1 for a rdie and try parking it in a parking space. You answer will be there.

3. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

You gotta park at the end of the lot......they will not fit into a normal spot without sticking out 4ft past the other cars. still worth it.

4. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

When I test drove a 2002 2500 ext. cab long box last week, that thing was like driving a bus. It was too big for most parking spaces. But it was also longer than a crew cab short box, by like a 1.5' too. So I already know that anything with a long box is out of the question. There is only a 9" difference between the ext. cab and crew cab short boxes, so I'm guessing that 9" isn't going to make much of a difference.

5. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

If you have the option, definatly get the crew cab. The only reason I would go away from one now would be if I just found a screaming deal on a regular cab or ext cab to replace mine...as it is I found a deal on another crew cab, so no compromise. I would imagine a newer chevy like that will turn a little tighter than my 01 Ford, and I have no problems parking it wherever I want. I don't use it for much more than plowing, so to me it's my car too, and it's not bad to get around in at all. But I stepped up to it from my former daily driver now work truck that is a 96 F250 ext. cab long bed....not terrible to drive but definately a long truck.

6. LewisLawn

LewisLawn LawnSite Senior Member

too confuse you a bit more i have had three variations first was a 96 ext cab dodge ram, the truck doesn't have the third door option which sucks when an adult has to get in the back does however offer a backseat that accommodates things that I need to keep safe and dry...I then had a chevy 1500 this had the third door option, (now they have dual rear doors) the chevy took it too Alabama with my wife, mother and father comfortable enough for the four of us...it would also accommodate the four of us and a car seat for our baby but we soon moved up to a tahoe b/c of the added doors...now i have so called downsized to a dakota quadcab the overall dimensions of the dakota are larger than my original Ram 1500...the dakota parks better than the Ram but that is due to the lowering kit on the Ram, gas mileage is better on the ram 318cui then the chevy 350cui and the dakota 288cui, why because of the rearend....all 3 had toneau covers...if i were to do it again I would go for a fullsize quadcab because I believe around here it would be easier to resell...only commercial guys have reg cabs, very few ext cabs on the road usually guys who want a little extra storage space most frequently seen is the quadcab, because after work you can throw in the kids and go to the track with the bikes/atv/sleds or down to the pub with the guys and the wife will also get in because you can keep a place clean and comfortable for her

7. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Okay, so it looks like I'm going to be shooting for a crew cab. With everyones responses, it sounds like a crew would be the best choice. And after reviewing the dimensions of these trucks, the length really isn't all that different between ext. and crew cabs. And since I would also like to keep this truck for a while, I want one that will be able to do everything I need and then some. So sounds like a crew cab will be my best option.

8. 360ci

360ci LawnSite Senior Member

Good choice!

9. JPsDuramax

JPsDuramax LawnSite Senior Member
    from Georgia

Very good choice. You won't regret it. And with time you'll learn how to park a big truck...just push the other cars out of the way! :laugh: Best of luck in your search.

10. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

Not that it will answer your question, but considering that we're talking trucks here I'll add my 2 cents. A regular cab long bed pickup is your best bet in this biz UNLESS you plan on regularly having more than 2 guys ride in it at a time. Cargo space/payload is the name of the game. If you're using it as your personal vehicle too, then sure get a crew cab-forget extended. But if this is going to be your primary work truck, I'd stick with a regular cab.
    I am needing to get a new truck very badly, but am trying to squeeze out every last drop of use out of it considering that it is payed for. Ideally, I'd like a 3/4 ton truck for what I do, but just don't like the terrible fuel economy all of them get.