1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Extendable Hedge Trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWNS AND MOWER, Jan 10, 2002.

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

I've done a search on this without much success. I'm thinking about purchasing some extendable hedge trimmers and would like some input. I've looked at the Stihl with the adjustable blade. It would be nice to angle the teeth. I would only use them about 5 times a year and I'm getting tired of borrowing them from one of my lawn care buddies. Any suggestions???

2. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Banned

If you're talking about the long shaft articulating hedge trimmers the Sthil HL75K is a good unit. Longer shaft & longer blade than Echo's best.
  3. I have the Stihl

4. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Redmax makes a good one too. you can purchase the whole unit, or just the end for the string trimmer. The teeth are spaced similar to their hedge shears, so they do a better job than some other brands.

5. bullfrog

bullfrog LawnSite Member
    from atlanta

One thing you may want to consider since you don't use the hedge trimmer a lot is to buy, for example, a stihl FC 85 edger (they don't sell a staight shaft edger attachment) for $330, and the HL 0-90 hedge trimmer attachment for $200.

Now ,for $30 more you have the exact same tool as the HL75, and have an edger attachment to boot. Not a bad deal.

And, unlike a string trimmer, one typically doesn't need a dedicated edger, or dedicated long hedge trimmer.

If you already have an edger, you could do the same with an backup string trimmer (FS85)/HL 0-90 hedge trimmer attachment for about the same cash.

Something to look into at least.
  6. bullfrog

bullfrog LawnSite Member
    from atlanta

I have the 0-90, it is sweet for high up use, or used to trim ground hugging evergreen hedges.

You can set it to 0 or 30 degrees, so don't waste your $$$ on those devices.
  7. Nathan

Nathan LawnSite Member

If you use it that infrequently, just rent one.
  8. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I agree with Bullfrog except the part about not needing a dedicated edger. I have the Stihl FS85T that comes with the edger. I also bought the stringtrimmer and the 0-90 deg. hedger attachment. I use it mostly as a hedger and a back up for everything else. It can be broken down and stored behind your seat if you wish.

My only complaint is how uncomfortable it is as a hedger. The weight isn't balanced and is just plain too heavy. Try holding that thing up or over your head for a while and you'll be CRYING! (Arms O' jello)

It is extremely dependable and I feel good having it my back-up to my handhelds.

The dedicated Stihl Ext. hedger (HL75) is balanced better. I would also think that the ECHO would be nice (I like the one that is only extended an extra foot or so)
  9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have a Stihl HL75K and I really like it. Previously, I used to borrow a friend's Echo. I like the Stihl better. The Stihl seems more powerful and better balanced to me.:)
  10. Stihl FS85

I have a weed eater head, a hedge trimmer head, and a 12" bar chain saw.

$680 for all.

$500 for the hedge trimmer and weed eater.

I love the 13' I can reach with the chain saw.