1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Extended bed vs. trailer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, Oct 2, 2000.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering if an extended bed could substitute for a trailer...what do u guys think? What about fitting a 60" Emarks Lazer with all the equipment needed for a one man show???

2. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

You can't put a lazer in the back of a truck. Trailers are so much easier to work off of because you can get racks and stuff and be more organized. i would never try to put a rider in the back of a truck unless your talking a flatbed or something then MAYBE it would work but I still wouldn't do it. A 60" won't even fit in a pick up. Trailers are definitly the best way to go. Get like a 12' open trailer for 1400.00, put some racks on and your set.

3. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Of course you can!

You should see the set-up that SILVA builds- it's so sweet!
    11ft. flatbed with a 3ft. hyrdraulic beavertail and then a standard ramp.

Advantages:
    Smaller package
    Better fuel milage
    Park anywere
    No registation, insurance on trailer
    No trailer maintenance, tires, etc.
    Wider deck (8' vs. 6')

Disadvantages:
    Dedicates your truck for that use.
    Quite expensive to custom upfit.

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

LGG said:

5. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

hey Lazer whats a 3 foot hydrauilc beaver tail??? and who's SILVA??? And also would u need dual rear wheels to support the extra weight??

6. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

$750 for a 16 ft??? WHere is this at??? I don't think you would need a dual axle for that and if you think you do, the extra money it would cost to get a dual axle you can get a trailer!!! I would not attempt to run a laser up and dowm ramps all day long, trust me something will happen!! Look for a small used trailer somewhere, it will save a lot of aggravation.

7. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

Geogunn- where are you going to get a 16' for 750.00 I've never seen one that cheep. I would get a 16' but you don't need one. I have a 12' tandem trailer and i can fit 3 walkbehinds on it. i'm going to get a 20' enclosed next summer though.

Lazer- I've seen those trucks and they are sweet but I didn't think he was talking about that. The bad thing about them is there a dedicated mower truck. I can't see spending the money on a mowing truck. A mason dump or grain body is so much more versitile, especially if you do landscaping and other stuff besides cutting. You just slap a trailer behind it and your set. Unless all you do is mow i think those trucks are worthless, they are nice though, if thats what you need. I would never get one though cause I do more landscape install and stuff than mowing so it would be dumb. I think trailers are better, the disavantages of those trucks seem to out wiegh the advantages.

8. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

That is a very tuff question!You can very easly have just a truck.....no problem!There are loads of trucks out there with long frames.But to get a truck you will have to buy a dually.Up here in canada there are f-350's that have been customized with longer frames,they use a 19 foot box!Just rip the box off and put a flat bed on it.That could probably hold aboy 3 lasers!!!!I have been thinking of picking one up!They are pretty cheap.They where all used by a patato chip company,so they would mostly have highway milage.The only problem would be that you would have to beef up the suspension to hold that extra weight.But that is not a real challenge.I personally think it would be better to have a large truck with a flat bed.Cheaper on gas,alot more easy to park,less manitnce costs.It would mostliklely be cheaper to run a trailer in the short run,but when I get the funds I will be seriously thinking about a large flatbed setup.

9. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

I will try to email eric a picture of myb lawn truck. It is a 12' flat bed with a 4' beavertail and ramp mounted on a Ford 350 diesel. During the cutting season it is 10x better than a truck and trailer combo, at least when you deal with employees. It is;
    1) more fuel efficient
    2) easy to drive
    3) easy to back up
    4) fits in my shop with no trailer hook up time.

The disadvantages are ;
    1) no room to haul debri
    2) no side gate for quick unloading of that seldom used walkbehind

10. Bobby

Bobby LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Lazer, could you show us a pic of this rig?
    I saw a Toyota one ton dually in Atlanta. Custom bed with box up front,flatbed with 18in sides and a dove tail with a spring assist ramp. He said it fit in his garage.
    I would love to not have to drag a trailor.
    Plenty of room for enough equiptment to keep two guys busy.
    Saw an Isuzu NPR down here that had a side dump up front. Equiptment behind the dump.