extended hedge trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawndog, Aug 26, 2000.

1. lawndog

lawndog LawnSite Member

I've just got a new account and its got these 10 ft hedges
    on a steep bank.I need to get one of those hedge trimmers
    that look like there mounted on to a weedeater.Does anyone
    have one of these and how do you like it,pros and cons?
    thanks from lawndog,mow on.

2. J MAN

J MAN LawnSite Member

I just bought an attachment for my echo PAS (Pro Attachment Series)today, but I have not tried it out yet (I will tomorrow). It cost me about $190 with tax (the attachment only). I will let you know how it goes.

3. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

Got the echo about 2 mths. ago. outher than the weight I love it.

4. WALKERMOW

WALKERMOW LawnSite Member

hey lawndog i have the stihl extended hedge trimmers and i think it will be the best tool in the shed!!
    i have 2 other regular stihl hedge trimmers and i hardly use them any more because the long trimmers are actually easier to handle than the short ones..can go from short bushes to tall without missing a beat you'll love em save a ton of ladder work
    hope this helps

5. BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

Hi , i have owned my hl75 sthil for about 2 years fixed angle head model. i brought it just before they cam out the
    adjustable head.....boy i wish i had waited....but the tool
    whith the angle head works great ..howbout those lake edges
    this tool is awsome....i even prune 3/4 inch tree limbes and some 1.5 limbs if you use it like a power knife. thick
    under brush gets cut and u donot bend or get stuck by stickers cause you just slice it likebread very veritile tool everyone of us should have one but i would recemend the sthil model with the adjustable head.... A fellow competitor at the moment has yet to be able to afford one and i have made $300. this season alone subing for him just cause i can do those tall bushes qucker.....Enjoy

[Edited by BUSHMASTER on 08-26-2000 at 05:24 AM]

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I've got a Stihl FS-85 trimmer. I have a power scythe head, trimmer head(never used), and I just got the hedge clipper head for it. I used the hedge clipper attachment yesterday for the first time. It cuts beautiful. The hedge was about 9' high and I didn't need a ladder. It does get heavy after a while. The head also is adjustable from 0 to 90 degrees. The power scythe head was $200 and the trimmer head was $151.

7. toddman35

toddman35 LawnSite Member

where did you get a fs 85 for that much! my dealer wants $300 for a new one!

8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

The FS-85 was $285,+ $200 for power scythe,+ $151 for hedge trimmer.

9. toddman35

toddman35 LawnSite Member

sorry read it wrong

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You can't go wrong with the extended trimmer.Whether you go with a fixed head or adjustable, it's just unbeatable.Like Walker said,I too use this about 99% of the time.It's much better balanced an easier to use.(I have the Stihl w/fixedhead) Even for lower and smaller shrubs, it's ALOT less bendind down. It's nice to be back 3 or 4 feet or so, you have a better perspective and view on what you are doing. It takes a little getting used to,(touchy) but surely a labor saver.