Extended Life Coolants???

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Luisto, May 10, 2002.

1. Luisto

Luisto LawnSite Member

I have been reading some about the "extended life coolants " that are being produced. Seems some of the lines are installing it as OE on commercial mowers; Exmark for one.

My question becomes; Could these type of coolants be used in my Cub Cadet 26 HP diesel and Kubota 18.5HP diesel engines?

I am unsure as to whether the "extended life coolants" are only for certain type radiators and engines?

Will appreciate any guidance.

2. Bushman

Bushman LawnSite Member

I would stay away from the extended coolants for commercial equipment for now. Dexacool is good stuff but has one fatal problem. If it mixes with air (runs low) it turns to a gum like paste. Which I would consider to be at least a slight problem. :) One small leak and you are replacing the radiator. Radiator shops are making a fortune on this one. Just call one and ask.
    No need to take the risk just change the fluid every other year with the standard antifreeze and be safe. Extended coolants are for folks who never look under the hood. Good landscapers are constantly going under,over and thru working on their equipment a fluid change should be no problem.

Regards,
    The Bushman

3. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

There are a few different types of coolants on the market now. Some manufactures are also using new forumlas. Beware, most of the new types are incompatable with the other types. So do not mix them. We prefer the standard green stuff, that way operators will just not "accidently" add the wrong type and cause us more headaches to deal with.