Extended or Regular Hedge Trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Nov 13, 2001.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Which is the better hedge trimmer to get: an extended version or standard version with double or single sided blades.

2. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I guess its all in what you like. I have ran single, double, short and long trimmers when I worked for a LC.

When I started my business. I bought what I liked to run. A 24" double sided Red Max trimmer. Its light and I have mostly shrubs under 5' tall.

3. Dochere

Dochere LawnSite Member

I like the double 24" and 30", preferably the tanaka's. I run the 30" double by choice, though I also have a 40" single that I only use in hard to reach and deep areas. The doubles seem to make everything go a little quicker and feel balanced. The redmax 24" is also a good machine and feels very balanced. Doubles seem to be more productive on smaller units, where the long reach will be more productive on deep and tall units.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

BOTH
    You will have a need for both types. I will use my trimmer attachment every chance I get. The leverage makes them easier and faster than the handheld trimmers. For small stuff the handhelds are the only way to go.

5. Ya beat me to it Eric. BOTH will be needed sooner or later.

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I guess your a little slow tonight. :cool:

7. gogetter

gogetter Banned

As others have said, BOTH would be best.
    However, if you can only afford one for now, I'd say go for the extended reach.
    You can use the extended reach where you only need a standard reach, BUT you can't use a standard reach where you need an extended reach. Follow?