extended reach hedge trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikekl, Jun 18, 2005.

1. mikekl

mikekl LawnSite Member

Lately I have gotten alot of requests for hedge trimming,most of them seem to be bushes that are 7-10ft tall,All I could find to rent was a regular gas hedge trimmer,which really didnt work that great.I am now looking for an extended reach hedge trimmer,regular weed eater shaft with hedge trimmer type.I looked at the split boom systems from echo and stihl,but the hedge trimmer attachment alone is around $200.,and I think the power unit is around $300.Im sorry,but that is ridiculous!!! I looked at the permantly mounted weed eater type units(echo SHC 261,I think)Basically lowest end model was around $300. and the high end with articulating head was $575.!!!!! Does anyone know of anyone else that makes these type of hedge trimmers(like Homelite,poulan pro,etc) I know these units are not comparable to stihl or echo,but for doing maybe 2-3 hedge jobs every other week,it would probably work allright. I would never spend $575. for a hedge trimmer!
  2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Stihl FS85 trimmer, normally used with string trimmer head. I use it all the time for trimming lawns before mowing. But, I have a hedge trimmer attachment that replaces the string trimmer head. Such attachments come in three different versions (I think?), zero angle, 15 degrees, and fully articulating (up to 90 degrees?). I have the zero angle model, which means the trimmer bar is parallel to the shaft of the unit.

The hedge trimmer attachment is 24" (22"?), double reciprocating blades. It is very similar to my Stihl HS80 hedge trimmer, except the bar is not quite as wide.

For me, this combo works well for bushes, hedges, etc that are up to about 11 ft tall. I'm short (5'8"), but a taller person could do even better. The attachment cost about $120, and I wished I had bought it long before I did so. My work load doesn't include much trimming, but it paid for itself in the first few jobs because of the time saved. Rather than work off ladders and/or scaffolds, I can do nearly all work while standing on the ground.
  3. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

One of the nice things about being in business for yourself is the ability to purchase lots of 'lawn toys'.. My self I have a standard (chain saw type) hedge trimmer, also a Split Boom 260 with an articulating head and a mid length trimmer I put together out of a spare 260 power head a 20" clipper bar and a short section of cable drive shaft (works great and you are not sucking in 2cycle fumes when using it).. If you are unwilling to make the investment in proper tools for any particular job then either sub it out or refuse to do it..

4. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

We have 3 extended reach hedge trimmers. They are the only way to trim hedges. You don't need the articulating head, we never adjust ours. There is money in hedge work. I would buy them. Get a Stihl 4-mix w/o the articulating head... well worth the $400 or whatever. Some weeks we do over $1000 in hedge work. I am sure it will be the same for you in a year or so.
  5. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

I have Red max LRT attachment. I think it cost me 230 or so, but it is fully articulating, cuts great, and it fits on my Husqvarnas too.
    Last fall I added a second one. Then you can have someone trim tops while the other does sides, only 1 ladder to carry. (this is for the wide stuff)
  6. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Get an articulating head and leave the ladder at home :D
  7. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

I bought an Echo HCA260 this year. While I never thought I'd spend $500 on a set of hedge trimmers, they are well worth the money spent. As I look back I think I may have been better off getting the PAS260 so I could use the different attachments, but I have what I have now.
  8. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I think your idea of renting is ridiculous, put the money toward purchase.

You can pay for the PURCHASE of the tool with a few jobs.

IF you have RedMax trimmers, you can buy the LRTA attachment, its only 2 socket-head hex screws to detach the weedeater head and install the hedge trimmer head. And I'm not talking about the split-boom stuff, but your regular line trimmer.

The attachment is about $240.00 or so.

9. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. Spend the money and get a good pair. I just bought a shindaiwa 22" hedge trimmer because I had a request to trim some hedges. With that being the only job I bought the cheapest one they had. The next day(no kidding) I had two people stop me and ask if I could do there hedges. They had about 90' of hedges and some were 10' tall. Now i'm stuck with the small ones. Wish I would of bought the good pole trimmers in the first place.
  10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Spend the money. If you are going to do something, do it right. Cheap tools will only have to replace it later when it breaks. Good tools will last for ever.

My PAS260 and articulating trimmer was worth the money payup