Extended tongue

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by PLS-Tx, Feb 5, 2006.

1. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Is turning radius the main reason for getting an extended tongue on a enclosed trailer?

Will it cause more of a wind drag?

2. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Most definitely, to both questions.

3. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the main reason is so you can turn without denting the front of the trailer with the truck(jacknife). This is esspecially true for a dually with a dump bed on it.

4. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

It is a great option to have, and I will always consider it when looking at a trailer. On an enclosed, to me it is essential.

5. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Do you have a enclosed trailer?

6. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

No, but I have studied them extensively. The standard tongues are very short and unforgiving. You may get away with it with a regular pickup, but if you ever haul it with a dump truck/ dually, if you make a mistake you will regret it. I have caldasac's where I get into tight situations no matter how careful, and I would have crushed in the side of an enclosed trailer without an extended tongue. They are so costly to repair, and that was another thing that shied me away. The option of the ext. tongue is so worth it!

Good luck

7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I build my own trailers and I always put an extending tongue on them. This allows me to jacknife to a 90 degree angle without hitting my truck. I can use my truck ramps to load and unload from the truck without unhooking the trailer.

8. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

It can also lighten the load on your truck not to mention the better turning radius and the clearance especially on enclosed trailers(I have one with holes in the front from the corners of the bed.)

9. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

IMHO an extended tongue is a must on an enclosed. I would not order one without it.

10. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

The reason we get 5' minimum tongue lengths on trailers is when you bull them with a dump or rolloff truck, the corners of the box won't crush the bulkhead of the trailer.

And then backing and turning are made easier.